It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
(female)

kidd123 HB User
Resveratrol

Would like to know if anyone with diagnosed Lupus has taken the supplement Resveratrol? It is touted as an antioxidant, but it also says it improves immune function. I would like to take it for assistance with my sugar cravings, but I am very hesitant to cause a flare!! I have been taking Plaquenil for about 3 years now, and my Lupus is pretty quiet.
I plan on talking to my rheumie about it, but it will be a long while until my next appointment. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Resveratrol

Kidd, hi. I actually avoid things touted as "boosting" the immune system. It's my understanding that in lupus, the immune system is both overactive & aberrant, in the sense of producing unwanted autoantibodies. Standard lupus therapies are designed not to boost but push the immune system the OTHER WAY, e.g., either flat-out suppress (steroids & chemo) or mere'y modulate (antimalarials).

But, honestly, I don't know whether I understand this concept correctly, so I'd love to know what you find out when you ask your rheumie. I never asked mine because I *thought* I knew what I was doing by avoiding such supplements... (There's a JOKE in that sentence somewhere! ) Hope you're feeling well overall, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 08-03-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: clarify

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

kidd123 HB User
Re: Resveratrol

Thanks Vee, My interest in resveratrol came about during my best friend's recent visit--she was excited that it really seemed to curb her appetite without any negative side effects. She gave me the website and I was thinking about ordering it, when I noticed that the ad said, "The Super Antioxidant! Promotes cardiovascular, neurological & immune health!" That made me stop and think about the effect it might have on someone with Lupus.
I already take several supplements, so I am not inclined to add to the list right now. However, as a woman just recently entering menopause, I sure would be interested in anything that would help my sugar cravings. The only thing that takes my mind off of food right now is shopping--Ha!
My health has been pretty well except for spikes in my blood pressure, some episodes of shortness of breath, and some dizzy spells. I hope that you are
enjoying a bit more sun (out your windows) in these dog days of August. And I hope that you are feeling well also...

Last edited by kidd123; 08-08-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarifying

Closed Thread