It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
prednisone relief!

While nothing definite doc is leaning toward lupus.....and while I have two separate issues going on (bad cervical spine and wrist/knuckles/fingers) he did start me on Plaquenil and Vit D July 3rd. This visit he also really looked at my hands and told me I had Raynolds as they were bluish! I kept saying no, they don't get white or painful in the cold. Humph! Plaquenil hasn't had enough time to show any results, so this week he agreed to do a trial of prednisone 5 mg a day and I am to phone him in 2 weeks with results. I got the Rx and took 5mg at 5 pm that day and then the next morning before going to work. At lunchtime I noticed my wristwatch was hanging around my wrist like a bracelet and I could fully close my fingers into a fist! Also my neck pain had dropped to a '1'. It was the first pain free day I have had in almost a year!!! So will get a repeat Vit D lab test, and a baseline osteoporsis x-ray thing (I'm 62.) Next month, I may consider a pulmonary function test for my increasing episodes of hitting a brick wall when taking a breath (just sometimes.)

My GERD had gotten worse, awakening me with dry hacking cough, or cough after I awaken in the am. He gave me a trial pack of Kapidex (dexlansoprazole) as it is a delayed release med, to see if it will last longer than the priliosec otc.

I know this was done mostly as a diagnostic challenge, but it sure felt good! And thanks to this board, I now have my own copy of the latest edition of Wallace's book. It has really helped me connect the dots!

Just thought I would report in with my good news

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
(female)

Angel MJ HB User
Re: prednisone relief!

sk84life ... that is FANTASTIC! relief is always welcome!

chat to your pharmacist about the best time of day to take pred. after taking it for over 2 years a pharmacist happen to mention that it could mess with your sleep ... i had been on sleeping pills then i started taking it in the morning which really helped!

my sympathy on the reflux ... it is something else! i also suffer from it a lot (no reason or dx yet ... on the list) but i can tell you that i notice triggers (like onions ... sob sob i love onions) i have had mild relief with altosec ... nexium did nada for me!

my experience with raynauds has not always been painful (my simple patient understanding) is that it is a constriction of the vessels and oxygen is not getting to that specific part ... so the colour change is mostly what i get and not just from the cold - worse with cold but stress also does a number.

thank you for the good news & good luck!

Last edited by Angel MJ; 08-17-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
Re: prednisone relief!

Yeah, being without chronic high level pain is fantastic!!
I tried the new GERD med but oh the gas it created was not for me! So went back to the Prilosec OTC and a zantac at bedtime.....

Saw PT person today but TENS unit had not arrived. I made him check my neck muscles and even he was impressed with how they have softened.

I do notice by evening that my hands start to tighten up a little but that's okay.....at least I am painfree at work.

Thanks for your reply!

Closed Thread