It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
predisone effect on bowel

I started 5 mg. of predisone last Thursday eve. Fabulous pain relief and decreased swelling within 24 hours. Monday afternoon I started with horrible lower rib pain (both sides) radiating to my back. The only thing that eased it was motrin and donnatal. Even put a heating pad on my belly in the evening. Tuesday (yesterday) same thing, so today I took only 2.5 mg with breakfast and within an hour the rib pain was back full force. It goes all across my gastric area above my waist. Took the other 2.5 about 2:30 pm as neck pain and hand stiffness was starting a little. I remember 2 years ago after my ERCP for sphincter of Oddi obstruction that I had the same rib pain and surgeon just said maybe he pushed too hard on my belly (I was under general anesthesia.) I also had pancreatitis post-op. I do have a small hiatal hernia, GERD, and bile reflux (small intestine into the stomach) and take prilosec otc.

So my question is has anyone else experienced this? Does the prednisone change the flora of the large bowel so quickly and is causing me these symptoms? I think it is the distention that is causing the rib pain and back pain. No fever, fast heart rate, etc.

Could this just be a coincidence and I have a gastroenteritis brewing? Eating doesn't seem to make it better or worse, although I did have a liquid stool this am before going to work.

I was so hopeful when all my pain etc. literally when away on such a small dose. I am also on plaquenil. At least my vit. D has come way up after the 6 weekly doses....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: predisone effect on bowel

sk84life, I also take prednisone, 4mgs. a day. I originally started on 5mgs. I can tell you that you need to take your prednisone with food. It can cause gastric upset. I have had escalating heartburn and gastric problems since starting the pred. I now take meds for that. Talk to your doctor, maybe there is something that can help you. I have tried getting off the pred. but it helps me so much and is the lesser of all the evils of other meds for me. Good Luck.

Glojer

Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
Re: predisone effect on bowel

Thanks Glojer - the rib pain gradually subsided over 3 days. I do take prilisec otc. This was just such a sudden onset and really painful, so I guess it was just some sort of GI bug. The predisone 5 mg. has been a miracle drug after 8 months of constant severe neck pain (OA at C1-2) and my hands were just getting tighter, couldn't make a fist.....anyway, connecting the dots has finally helped zero in on a probable diagnosis. The increase in symptoms from my GERD started when I started the plaquenil. Tried a new PPI but it gave me too much gas......Am to call doc on Thurs to report results of predisone use. Also am going for bone density scan tomorow.

Thanks for your reply!

Closed Thread