It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User
bone density scan

I started on prednisone 5 mg 10 days prior to having a baseline bone density scan. I also started placquinil and weekly vit d in early July. Vit d level came up great after the 6 weeks. Rheumy got density scan report and is not a happy camper I'll be 63 in December and already have spine fusions and ongoing issues.....anyway, scan showed a -2.5 for femur/hip but lumbar spine was -3.7. I don't have appt. till 9/17 so was interested in what others with lupus have experienced having this scan. Internet reseach says they don't know if lupus itself can cause osteoporosis......but is a possibility.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: bone density scan

Hi. My bone density #'s were terrible at least 5 years prior to being Dx'ed with lupus. I've been on Fosamax for 10+ yrs., and, yes, it has improved my bone mass.

As to WHY the osteoporosis? For me, I think family tendency is one factor. And decades of inflammation & malabsoprtion can't have helped! I certainly had signs & symptoms of lupus for decades, but I'll never know how long it was "fully" there... Warm wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

Thanks Vee.....I too had symptoms 20 yrs ago and rheumy that I saw then kept leaning toward lupus but would not commit himself......

I have read so many reports of people having GI problems with fosamax that I am very reluctant to even consider it, as I already have upper GI issues, but insurance says you have to use that first.

I know the jury is out on a direct link between lupus and osteoporosis. Since there was a significant difference between femur (-2.3) and L1-4 (-3.7) I am leaning toward it just being a coincidence.

Doing mulitiple loads of laundry and hauling up and down 2 flights of stairs on Saturday triggered a bad sciatic episode. I had been delaying having an addition put on the house to have a first floor full bathroom and a laundry room....but now I have put a call into the builder to see if it is feasible before the snow comes.

I stopped the daily 5 mg predisone after 16 days because I was beginning to see a big increase in my appetite and craving for sweets. Plus I 'hit the wall' on day 15 with profound fatigue and all over aching....not quite like the flu but close. I seem be be doing fine without it - at least my wrist and hands are still flexible and no more swelling, and my neck still feels good.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

i took fosamax for years and my bone density improved. i recently switched to forteo...a daily injection. my mother has osteoporosis so there is a bad gene somewhere.

Last edited by heidiclouser; 09-03-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Closed Thread