It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
Plaquenil and stomach issues...

I've gradually have become sensitive to dairy but the last few days, it all but kills me. I've been on Plaquenil for almost 2 wks now and I'm also taking Prednisone, could one of these be causing my extreme stomach cramps?

2 nights ago, I had a cheeseburger and mac and cheese and I thought I was going to die about 1 in the morning. I ended up throwing up once and then I had diarrhea for a bit and then it passed once my system cleared.

I had potato soup and a salad w/ ranch today for lunch, same thing, but not as bad... cause well, it wasn't as much. I felt like crap all over after eating it for a good 1/2 hour and now I made homemade pizza for dinner and I'm right back to cramps and really gassy.

These are foods that I never had issue w/ eating before. Is this cause of the meds? Is there something I can take to help w/ the cramps? Do I have to avoid diary all together now cause that's kinda hard w/ cereal and stuff... I just can't do soy... blahh.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
(female)

watoozie HB User
Re: Plaquenil and stomach issues...

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I've been on Plaquenil for 4 1/2 years, 200mg with breakfast and 200mg with supper. I always make sure I take it with food and I've had no problem with it. It helped me so much, I hope I don't ever have to go off of it. Hope your tummy gets adjusted soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

it seems to just be dairy right now. Everything else doesn't bother me but I can't eat raw fruits and veggies cause I got Oral Allergy Syndrome and my choices are limited.. I love me some ice cold milk from time to time or cheese... but right now.. OUCH. I've had issues here and there but nothing this bad before. I just didn't know if it was related.. I'm gonna abstain from dairy for a while, see how it goes when I eat it again... If I feel fine or writhe in pain lol.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

i've taken plaquenil for 15 years with no stomach problems. but watch vomiting when you are on prednisone...it will mess you up.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 AM   #5
(female)

ronics HB User

I have been on Plaquinel for 4 years and gradually I have become sensitive to various foods. I can not figure out. One thing is for sure...No red dye! I love red and chewy candy and alas...tears.
When I was on Prednisone I definatly was more sensitive than off. On Prednisone I was throwing up and gaining weight. Now off prednisone I have lost 45 lbs and have a hard time with digestion. Who can figure it. My doctor seems to feel we should watch the weight loss and then decide from there.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. High-fat foods have bothered me for decades. But since your abdominal pain is recent, and because you're taking Prednisone & are new on Plaquenil, I think your best move is to call your dr. GOOD LUCK, Vee

Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
(female)

marissa1 HB User

Yes Plaquenil can make you sick to your stomach, dont take it on an empty stomach. Saltines come in handy !

Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
(female)

d warrier HB User
Talking Re: Plaquenil and stomach issues...

If I were you I wouldn't take that kind of medicene anymore. When I was on Prednisone my feet swelled and I gain a lot of weight. Even after years I have problems w my weight. Before that I didn't have weight issues.I started having other health issues months later. I will never take this again!

If it's absolutely necessary to take it ask for a different alternative that doesn't make you gain too much and check for non reversible side effects.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

If it's absolutely necessary to take it ask for a different alternative that doesn't make you gain too much and check for non reversible side effects.[/QUOTE]

and what might that be?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

PLEASE never just stop taking any meds ... we the patients are not trained with the medications so we should ALWAYS seek medical supersvision ...

i have always sinus issues but now in my 30's i am totally allergic to dairy + soya ... before an anti histamine would help with the runny nose, watery puffy eyes, but now i have a teeny tiny bit of cheese and BAM allergic rhinitis instantly which includes a migraine (sob sob no chocolate ... especially hard when the *monthly* cravings come) ... i am not on any meds - haven't been since 2006 so i know it is my body and not a medicinal reaction

also i have had side effects to a lot of the lupus meds and realize since being off them they get a bad rap for nothing sometimes ... i am having the same reactions and symptoms as a lot of my fellow lupies that are on meds - i cannot explain it but know that it is indeed the lupus.

Good luck - PLEASE chat to your doc ... it does need to be discussed with them!

i have found rice milk - takes getting used to but regular milk does not taste the same anymore (oily + fatty) so i use the rice milk to make custard, white sauce for cooking, cereal etc. hubby even found me a chocolate version (dairy, soya, gluten free)

not only has lupus changed me but also changed my life style ... when i get a grip on it i may even say that it has benefited me in a positive way!

now in my 30's exeriencing i am experiencing a host of *new* problems and my GI is definitely involved ... i cramp when eating (but i still eat anyway) chronically constipated, when i use a laxative i get the runs ... cramps, cramps, crapms + SPASMs ... when i get too constipated then the other things start, headache, nausea etc (blocakage can cause real poo inside ... pun intended) ... i am in the process of getting dx + treatment ... going for scopes etc

Last edited by Angel MJ; 09-18-2009 at 02:34 AM.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

I don't plan on stopping the meds, I can tell you that, but I do have to call the dr today.

Last night, I had a little treat and then about 2 oz of milk to wash it down. Within 5 min, I feel like I was drunk... dizzy, lightheaded, and I started getting hot like I wanted to get sick. I went straight to bed and feel fine now... all of that for 2 oz of milk.. man.. I don't drink anymore... but I've become an even cheaper date LOL.

It was scary, really... cause well.. it's MILK!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I too am Lactose Intolerant and wanted to give my experience. I totally understand as I was definitely a hostage to my digestive system for many years. I had been diagnosed with IBS many years prior and my symptoms of sudden onset of pain after even the blandest of foods and intermittent diarrhea and sometimes incontinence just intensified that I was unable to eat and go anywhere or eat out or even have lunch at work. I felt like a prisoner to my digestive problems.

I had seen seven (7) different gastroenterologists through the years with no real help until one did a simple Lactose test. I have now been dairy free for 4 1/2 years and I feel like a different person. I was given a list of no no foods and also suggestions of products that are lactose free and have done my best to stick to it faithfully. It is amazing how big a differrence this dietary adjustment has made. Yes I do have occasional IBS bouts and have to treat with Acid reducers and anti-diarrheals but as a whole I am 99 % better just coming off the lactose.

You can do a search for Lacotose free products, there are many and there are some such as yogurt that have some lactose but if you eat the ones made with the live cultures, it eats up the lactose, so it is safe. I have found cheeses, "real" milks and cottage cheese, margarines and ice cream that are lactose free. You do have to search for them in the stores and read labels, but I am finding more products all the time. I do note that eating out takes some practice, especially if butter or sauces are in the dishes, but you can make selections that are lactose free. I also did a search for foods that are high in lactose as there are some that you may not suspect as they are not "dairy" items, for example mushrooms are extremely high in lactose.

Also, the Lactose test was very simple, simply breathing into a bag at intervals after coming in fasting. They do give a drink and test after the "drink" but I never made it that far as my levels were extremely high, just fasting. But it is non-invasive and worth the time and effort if it can give you some relief. I do hope you find an answer as I do know how difficult it can be living with constant pain from simply trying to eat!

One thing about the Lactose free products is that they are a bit more expensive, but they do have a longer shelf life. The only difference in the products is they are heated to a higher temperature for a longer period of time to reduce the lactose content. Also, I have found that some store chains are now making their own store brands that are lactose free so you can save a little there. As for the soy products or rice products, I have tried those and I do use them in cooking and they work nicely to make gravies, puddings, even ice cream. But I do stick to the name brand real Lactose free milk when I want cereal or just a glass of milk. They do offer in whole, 2% and 1% if you have other dietary issues. Just wanted to add that little tidbit to the info.

Last edited by goldyfm; 09-18-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Old 09-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutekids View Post
I don't plan on stopping the meds, I can tell you that, but I do have to call the dr today.

Last night, I had a little treat and then about 2 oz of milk to wash it down. Within 5 min, I feel like I was drunk... dizzy, lightheaded, and I started getting hot like I wanted to get sick. I went straight to bed and feel fine now... all of that for 2 oz of milk.. man.. I don't drink anymore... but I've become an even cheaper date LOL.

It was scary, really... cause well.. it's MILK!!!
LOL - keep us posted! glad that you are okay!

Goldfym ... there is another disease that is more alike to intolerance - CELIAC! if you suffer intolerance have you heard of this or ever looked into it? my GP hadn't even heard of it ... altho with all your docs i am sure they would have looked into this.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Angel, yes I am familiar with celiac disease. I was also diagnosed with the destruction of the villi in the small intestine from non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds. I had rapid transport due to that destruction of my small intestine villi. My food would travel the entire digestive tract in less than 20 minutes. But the lactose levels were extremely high even fasting, so it was a combination of natural occuring sensitivity and medication reaction. As was explained to me, in my case the villi would regenerate with time, but the Lactose was keeping the intestines constantly irritated. So the first improvement came immediately with the prompt removal of all lactose products. I immediately saw a reduction in cramping, bloating, gassy feeling and the diarrhea and pain slowly got better.

I addressed the lactose issue as that seemed to be pinpointed by the description of symptoms. I never knew how much a food source could disrupt one's digestion. I just feel extremely fortunate that this last GI doctor thought to followup on the possible external cause rather than focus on a structural cause. I do hope my experience will help others.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #15
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

goldfym ... i am soooo grateful for you sharing your experience!
i find it amazing how different foods can affect a person ... and like you said hold you hostage

i have been living with a whole host of GI symptoms (i am scared of all the tests that come with the dx-ing ... but *will* be going next week ... bloodwork + scopes + CT + Chest xray for other issue)

my GP has been suggesting ... GERD or IBS and definitely allergies that are increasing in intensity (dairy + soya) found out about soya the hard way and still find myself craving dairy - i suspect that my body is craving calcium or something ... but the blood work should show the docs what is going on and maybe finally some answers.

i have learnt all about my triggers + the consequences for eating them.

Last edited by Angel MJ; 09-24-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Closed Thread