It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

rchar HB User
New not yet diagnosed

Hi all....new to this forum and i have not yet been diagnosed. My syptoms possibly started when i was 19 (am 35 now) I had pleurisy (but at the time they thought costacondritis). Didn't have many symptoms that i noticed until about age 27 when i developed pleurisy again. (still thought it was costacondritis) I got it somewhat regularly and would see a chiropractor until 2007 when i got it and chiro didnt help this time. (Everytime i saw a chiro i was also prescribed anti inflammatory and took pain meds) When to GP and he heard a friction rub and diagnosed me with pleurisy and said that's probably what i've had all along. I had never heard of it. Since then i have gotten it regularly as in every 3 months, and i'm usually down for roughly 2 weeks with it. Not only from the pain, but it drains me. Most recently in July i thought i had it again, but this time they said pericarditis. After several xrays and CT scans they confirmed pericarditis this time, and also found a spot in my right breast which i'm told is nothing, but i go back in November to make sure it hasn't grown. If it has i will get a biopsy and go from there. I swear it's like a snowball effect.
I've also recently noticed my hair coming in clumps in the shower and when i put gel or various products in my hair my hands come away covered with hair. Luckily you can't tell....yet. I've been having minor joint pain for the most part, except in the a.m. when my feet and ankles hurt and i hobble like a 90 year old. And the fatigue is TERRIBLE!! I feel very lazy because i don't care to get off the couch and do much, and usually need at least 1 nap during the day. If i don't get one i am exhausted by 7:00 or 8:00 and have to fight to stay awake!! I have minor dry eye and have skin issues on the back of my scalp which i was told was excema (sp?) possbily psoriasis. It does get better with liquid med they gave me.
I saw a RA doc on the 16th of September and go back on October 6th to discuss my blood work. Keeping my fingers crossed, but with all these symptoms it doesn't look promising. They are checking my thyroid, and specifically for Lupus and RA. Thanks for listening all, and wish me luck!!!

PS Has anyone elsed experianced Pleurisy or pericarditis on a regular basis??

Charmin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: New not yet diagnosed

Charmin, hi & welcome! I had recurring problems for decades but they didn't include pericarditis or costochondritis. (I had crazy GI problems for 20+ years, urinary problems, anemia, rashes, migraine-like headaches, pain, & fatigue.)

Hair loss: yes, had that, but mostly along hair line & crown, as opposed to losing clumps. I also had dry patches on scalp, but those turned out not to be anything more than abnormally dry skin (plus I'd dehydrate with the GI problems, so that can't have helped). My hair & scalp are much healthier now, with Plaquenil & strict sun precautions.

Have you read the "sticky posts" = permanent info posts, located at the top of the thread list? Reading has helped me. It NEVER substitutes for capable doctors, of course, but I found I understood my drs. better, asked better questions, and (oddly?) worried less.

Anyway, I'm glad you saw a rheumie & are scheduled for a follow-up to get results. GOOD LUCK. Yes, it certainly wears you down, all of it, so I hope you can turn to a new and better page very soon! So stay in touch & keep us posted, OK? Bye for now, with warm wishes, Vee

Old 09-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

About 10 years ago, I had my first episode of pleuritic pain and was eventually sent for a rib scan as it lingered for a long time and interferred with my sleep and daily functioning. I have since had off and on episodes of the same pain. I was diagnosed in 2004 with FMS and Lupus in 2006. I know it is probably related to those two maladies. I used to take muscle relaxers but now that I am on lupus and FMS therapies, I only use heat wraps for the pain. It is one of the most frequent of my symptoms but has improved somewhat on the lupus meds.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

rchar HB User

Thank you both for your responses! I find it very interesting to know someone else has shared the pleuratic pain experience. I know it hurts like hell!! As i said i get it every 3 months like clockwork, and i'm sure it's coming again soon. I've been feeling the burning and aching in my left chest area and a little into my shoulder, and this is how it usually starts. I'm sure it will be full blown in a couple of weeks. Rheumy wants to see me when/if i get this pain back. Again...thanks for the responses!!

Charmin

Closed Thread