It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
(female)

Postie HB User
Potassium

I got labwork done today. But this is so weird that I've never had a doc call me with labwork at 8:00 at night. He was another doc calling in place of my doc. He said potassium range is 5 1/2 and mine was 6. He asked if I was taking any meds and he said for me to call my doctor next week. He said it was probably a lab error with it being only a 6. He asked if they had any problems drawing out blood. I said no because my vein was all good. I said it felt like the circulation was being cut off because my arm was starting to tuen color because I had a bunch of labs done.

So is this more than likely a lab error?

Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Potassium

I suppose it could be a mistake, but to be on the safe side, I would insist that it be rechecked. I know that the safe range of potassium levels is very narrow. It is an element of great importance in the regulation of many body functions. I, myself had a lab report of cholesterol and triglycerides that came back dangerously high. The office where I had the lab work done shortly after that incident changed labs that ran their specimens. So it is possible it could be an error, but if it were me, I would have it rechecked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

Postie HB User

I had to have it rechecked today. It's fine and I got to go back home. I don't know the number, but when I get my labs in the mail, then I will know. One of the doctors who was at the office today had called and I had to have it done either at a place which was 45 minutes away--and you don't have to wait. That's where we went. Or choose an emergency room to go do it. Then they told me I had to wait there to make sure it was ok. If it wasn't then I would of had to have an IV. So I got to go back home. So I think it must of been an error on the labs part.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

6.0 would be considered mild hyperkalemia.....yes, it could be a lab error, or you have been consuming foods known to be very high in potassium. Also review what medications you are currently taking both Rx and OTC>

If you are not having any new symtoms (leg weakness, irregular heartbeat, etc.) I would just get the test repeated. If you do develope significant symptoms, I would call the doc and ask IF you should go to the ER.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

Postie HB User

The doc that had me go get it done today, looked over my meds and he said I'm not on any meds that cause potassium problems. The doc last night said when it's a tad over like that, he said most of it is lab error.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Glad to hear it was fine. I know you are relieved knowing it is okay!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
(female)

Postie HB User

I was very relieved to hear that my potassium was fine.

Closed Thread