It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
(male)

barry590 HB User
High ANA titer with Vitiligo?

I am a reasonably healthy 29 year old Asian-Indian male. Height 5'7'', Weight: 155 lbs.

I went to a Rheumatologist to discuss a knee pain that happens after some period of inactivity. The initial diagnosis and treatment most closely resembled that of "Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome" [http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/479.html]

A blood test was administered during this initial visit. The result of the blood test came back with everything within normal range except elevated ANA titer. The ANA titer shows 1:320 with speckled pattern. TSH and T4 free levels are normal.

Now the doctor is performing some follow-up tests to determine lupus/SLE and/or other auto-immune diseases. The doctor also mentioned that he believes there is a significant likelihood of my having Lupus.

Also, I have Vitiligo since I was about 8 years old. My maternal grandfather also had Vitiligo.

Could my high ANA be due to Vitiligo? I forgot to ask this question to the doctor and am not due for a conversation with him for 5 more days.

This is really driving me crazy. Please post an answer if you have some experience with this.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
(female)

heidiclouser HB User
Re: High ANA titer with Vitiligo?

Nice to have you in the group. I, unfortunately, can't help with this question. I've never heard anyone associate the 2 and I don't know if Vitiligo is an autoimmune disease. Autoimmune diseases tend to travel in packs. I'm glad your doc is running more tests. ANA isn't very specific. Let us know how it turns out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
(male)

barry590 HB User

I do believe that Vitiligo is an autoimmune disease.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. First off, obviously I'm only a patient, so please read in that light, OK? The info I've read correlates vitiligo with a few autoimmunes: pernicious anemia, thyroid conditions, Addison's, etc. Interestingly, lupus doesn't isn't listed...

If lupus IS being considered as a possibility, a rheumatologist looks for the diagnostic criteria & symptoms listed on the "sticky posts" (= permanent info posts) at the top of the thread list. These describe full-blown *systemic* lupus (SLE). In contrast, in "cutaneous lupus", people only meet a few mild criteria, like skin involvement, pain & fatigue.

ANA is only a "theshold test"; in & of itself, it doesn't diagnose anything. PLUS, it may even elevate simply due to a passing virus, a family tendency, etc. Because it is positive in many conditions (incl. multiple rheumatologicial & other specialties as well), it's likely your rheumie will run additional autoimmune panels to look for autoantibodies associated with lupus (while there are many, only several are considered very "specific"). Take a lifetime medical history. Maybe call for a deep-punch skin biopsy, to confirm your depigmentation is due to vitiligo vs. one of the lupus rashes that also can depigment vs. something else altogether. Etc.

Typically joint pain in lupus affects matching joints simultaneously, e.g., both knees, both wrists, etc.

Main thing is not to worry too much until you know more. If it IS lupus (and I hope not), many people remain mild. To read more, see the "sticky" on Resources for recos. Let us know how you make out, OK? Meanwhile, sending best wishes, sincerely, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 09-29-2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: added sentence

Old 10-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
(male)

barry590 HB User

All reports came back as non-indicative of Lupus. I have shown my reports to two Rheumatologists and they both believe that there is nothing in my symptoms or reports to indicate Lupus. Rheumy says that the high ANA could be attributed to Vitiligo.

I found this wonderful community while researching my medical problems and in hindsight my problems seem pitifully small.

All the best to everybody here who is coping with Lupus.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
(female)

Johana HB User

Hello everyone,

I'm a 35 female and also have vitiligo and my ANA tests came back Positive - 1:80 H with Speckeled ANA Pattern. I have to go for more exams with the rheumatologist on Sept 3rd, 2010. I've had vitiligo for 7 years already and don't know where it came from. A year later I noticed the spots on my fingers I also noticed the change on my wrists as if they were from an older person. They hurted a lot and they look almost as if were going to get separated. I always thought it was "carpo", but I just recently noticed that my fingers are hurting too and the shape of my fingers are changing. If I can pinpoint the cause of this pesty skin condition I will be more relieved knowing that I can correct the root of this disease and maybe vitiligo will go away forever.

Last edited by Johana; 07-29-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Closed Thread