It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

ginnerbug2 HB User
lupus and bronchitis

I have lupus and get frequent infections. Now I have bronchitis. I tried to see the doctor, but (the nurse) told me to just keep taking my tylenol cold medicine, drink lots of fluid and rest. The usual stuff. Since my immune system is already weakened, shouldn't I take an antibiotic?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: lupus and bronchitis

Ginner, I take Mucinex, but of course one should always check with the Doctor or Pharmacist when self-medicating because of interactions. It seems to do the trick, but as I have chronic bronchitis, I usually get an antibiotic. If you have fever or productive cough, that is a red flag. I know that I have gone to a Doc in the Box when I could not get what I thought I needed. I do hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

home sweet home HB User

Hi ginnerbug,I get this every year, last year it almost took me,it start of with it and then turns into the flu. I get bad sick for 2 weeks and the 3 week I can finally grt out of bed. I have chronic bronchitis.When you get it 2 times in one year and 2 years in a row then it is considered chronic. Every year it seems to get worse for me. O I forgot to say you will have a cough also that will last for months , like 3 at least. The one thing that help me was a doc realized I had allergies, so they put me on fexofenadine. So now I get it once a year,and I'm do. I have alot of other illnesses to that don't help. I don't work, stay home all day ,don't go out unless I just have to. I am so scared to get the flu this year.I will not hesitate to go to hospital after last year.They told me to take musinex dm and gave me benzonatate 100mg. And alot of others that I cant remember.I'm doing every thing I can to stay out of the general public,I realize thou that some dont have that lugjury.Just go to the docs, hope this help. home sweet home

Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
(female)

teeha HB Userteeha HB User

Hey ginnerbug,

I also get bronchitis alot.I am way past over the counter drugs helping it and even the "baisc" anti biotics. My doc has to give me the same shot they give to ppl with phnemonia and then I have to have good ole pennicillan. This is the only thing that works for me when the bronchitis flares up. I also have used an inhaler for yrs. I was on straight combvient but now I have to use advair 2 times a day and the combivent inbetween if needed. I live in the worst place for allergies, and deal with that also. Which naturally dont help the bronchitis.
Feel better soon
Teeha

Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

I get pneumonia once every two years. I'm due so staying home alot. I will get the swine flu shot as soon as I can locate it. I got the seasonal and pneumonia shots a dew weeks ago. I carry hand sanitizer in my purse....I'm really paranoid this year.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
(female)

msrmzeig HB User

I am being treated for bronchitis for the 3rd time in 5 years the other two years I caught the flu, but my doctor always gives me an atibiotic and he gave me a steriod shot also today, and told me to take cough medicine, I'm allergic to codeine, so I just take a good over the counter cough medicine

Closed Thread