It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

meisie HB User
malar rashes

Hi,

Two months ago, I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome with a possible lupus overlap. I didn't have a clue that I was having AI issues - just thought the joint pain, intestinal issues, etc were random things. This past summer, I went to my PCP because I was having esophageal discomfort and mentioned to him that I have pain in several joints. He ordered blood work thinking possible RA. My sed rate was normal, but my ANA was 1:1280 so he referred me to a rheumy who had more lab tests run. I don't know the results of all of them except that the anti-SSA (Ro) was positive (8.0). I have recently started to have dryness issues so with this and the labs, my rheumy game me the above diagnosis.
I have been concentrating on researching the SjS since that diagnosis was definite, but have recently been checking out lupus since that's still a possibility. It is not uncommon for me to have a low-grade fever and my hair is thinning on top of my head (which is really bumming me out!). I also have developed an anxiety disorder. Several months ago, I noticed a brownish patch on one side of my nose. It has since spread over the bridge to the other side of my nose and is looking more red in color. I hasn't spread to my cheeks into the classic butterfly rash, but could this be the start of a malar rash or does it pretty much develop all at once?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

heidiclouser HB User
Re: malar rashes

Rashes are a frequent topic on lupus boards. I have many but never the classic malar rash. Rashes come and go....look different.....are generally tied to a flare. If you are concerned see a dermatologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Meisie, I'm an anti-Ro lupus patient, without secondary Sjogren's. I had years of "subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus, annular form" (targetlike) rashes, on arms, back & torso. But at time of Dx, I was told that I was also "eligible" for malar and/or discoid (scarring) rashes. And sure enough, I did get a scarring "discoid" on my face, but never a malar.

My drs. warned me that anti-Ro patients can be VERY photosensitive, so I should take extreme precautions until I knew one way or another. If you haven't discussed sun precautions yet with your dr., I hope you do soon.

Did your rheumie do a lip biopsy to confirm Sjogren's? Like you wrote, I understand anti-Ro is seen in Sjogren's, lupus, or both.

Whether the redness on your face might be a malar rash, only your dr. could say. I actually *think* a malar can come on slowly & can last quite a while; but again, I'm just a patient, so those might be good questions to pose. Also, you could ask if low-grade fever & hair thinning are seen in Sjogren's, or whether those are more associated with lupus. I hope you keep posting here. Bye, with warm wishes, Vee

Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
(female)

meisie HB User

Hi,

I did not have a lip biopsy but with my labs and dryness (eyes, mouth) the rheumy gave me the diagnosis of Sjogren's. I don't know what else she would want to see to give me a definite on lupus. Guess I won't know - at least from her - just found out she is leaving our community so I will need to find another rheumy. There's only one other rheumatologist here so if I can't get in with him, I will have to do some traveling to find one.

Thanks so much for your reply. Have a good day!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Meisie, as you see in the "stickies", a lupus Dx is built thru blood results, urinalysis, skin findings, & symptoms (both skin and "all other"). It's quite a grab-bag. It can take time, because you can match on these criteria sporadically & over time (as opposed to meeting enough simultaneously). And I've read that milder cases are harder to Dx, which makes sense.

My skin findings helped a lot. In lupus, "immune junk" can build up between dermal/epidermal layers of skin, so I had deep-punch biopsies of lesional skin from upper arms to see if this was happening. Such punches are examined under the microscope. Then a second step, immunofluorescent stain tests, can light up in a unique way if the rash is lupus-specific. But in my case, my rashes were frequent & not subtle, lots of red circles, impossible to ignore.

Are you on any medication for the Sjogren's? Bye for now, Vee

Old 11-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

meisie HB User

"Deep-punch" biopsies? Eeewww - that doesn't sound good!

The rheumy started me on Lodine for joint pain and it helped a lot but I had to discontinue taking it every day because it was causing weird bruising. She also started me on 400 mg plaquenil/day but I had to back off to 200 mg/day due to the wicked diarrhea it gave me. She said once that problem subsides to slowly work my way back up to 400 mg/day.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Meisie, skin is numbed (only hurts when the block wears off), punch taken, several stitches, then back later to have stitches removed. It's nothing, really. I was a great candidate because of all the rash activity on my upper arms, an easy place to biopsy. Hope you settle into the Plaquenil quickly. Hang in there, Vee

Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
(female)

meisie HB User

OK - I have a question on another type of rash. After I take a shower, I get a pinkish-red, blotchy rash on my face, neck and chest. It lasts about 15 minutes and then fades. I get it no matter what type of soap or shampoo I use. Could this be lupus-related?

Thanks!

Closed Thread