It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
Burning Tongue

I am waiting to get in to see my doctor. I have been struggling with a very dry mouth, but a terrible burning tongue. I cannot eat anything with salt because it just makes my mouth feel SO bad.

I am using magic mouthwash right now which seems to help my symptoms but I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and may know what it could be?
Thank you!
Madison104

Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
(female)

watoozie HB User
Re: Burning Tongue

I had burning mouth for months. My blood work showed my B12 was low. I took several B12 shots and in time (quite awhile) it left. I hope your using mouth wash that is alcohol free. Alcohol dries out the mouth and causes more burning. Hope you get relief soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hi watoozie Thank you! My rinse is alcohol free and I will ask my doctor to check my B12 levels. I hope this does get resolved soon. I decided to stay home on turkey day because I just don't feel like eating at this point. Still, I will make my day nice, stay snuggled in and watch a movie

Old 11-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

watoozie HB User

Sounds like your going to enjoy your Thanksgiving anyway. That burning mouth is a terrible thing to have. I felt like I had been eating hot peppers, my mouth and lips were on fire. The B12 did help, but I put up with it for months and then just one day I thought - my mouth isn't burning today! I have Lupus and Sjogrens and they say sometimes it just happens. I check in to a Sjogrens site and it seems pretty common.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I do have episodic mouth issues as well. It feels as if I scalded the insides of my mouth on hot liquid. It can be most uncomfortable at times. I do use "ST37" that you can find at a pharmacy as a rinse and also weakened peroxide rinse if it gets too bad. It does make eating difficult. I keep a protein shake mix from a health food store handy to make shakes if I am unable to eat. I usually blend some juice, a fruit or Peanut butter and a few cubes of ice to make a protein shake. They are filling and at least I know I am getting some healthy calories each day.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

I can't believe my burning mouth may be related to my lupus! But knowing others have the same issue, makes me feel much better. It is just the roof of my mouth. I admit I have slacked off on my Vit D and Vit B-100, so took them yesterday. Will let me Rheumy know in January....

Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I saw my doctor yesterday. I don't know if I should back up a bit to mention that last week at my appt. they forgot me and left me in the exam room for over 2 hours and I never got to see anyone! Dang. The nurse though, had ordered me some magic mouthwash that helped my symptoms alot. Anyway, he thinks I may of been starting thrush which can happen from the dryness. And there is nystatin in the magic mouthwash so it would make sense for that to be helping. Seeing my tongue is doing better, I think the magic mouthwash is doing the trick. Now, my doctor also prescribed me a new med for sjogrens. It is called evoxac, which I know little about except I did not like the side effect list. LOTS of sweating can occur. I dunno......................

I just feel discouraged today. Between my neck pain flaring and my dry painful eyes and my dry mouth, I am just feeling down.
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Closed Thread