It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

carrieann30 HB User
panic and lupus

Hi, I was told 5 months ago that i had panic attacks. then they found out I had thyroiditis. now im having alot of other problems like a strange rash getting fevers, my joints hurt really bad and when i take a hot shower i hurt really bad when i get out like i cant even walk to my bed, its like im on fire from my knees down. I also have stomach problems and reflux really bad. my dr tried to blame it all on panic attacks but i dont think she can ignore the rash. so she is checking for lupus. Im very scared right now cause i have been in pain now 5 months and if it is lupus then i have no idea what the future holds for me. i mean will it ever go away or will i be in pain for the rest of my life???? will this rash ever go away??? will it kill me? the list goes on and im out of my mind about it and having wicked panic attacks about it. so does anyone have any good stories about lupus? lol im sure no one has good storied but what i mean is does anyone feel ok?

scared out of my mind
carrie

Old 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

heidiclouser HB User
Re: panic and lupus

Hi Carrie....take a deep breath. Lupus is different for each of us but many of us live a pretty normal life. Once you get a diagnosis then you can find meds that make you feel better. I started with a really nasty rash. In fact, my dermatologist gave me my lupus diagnosis. I don't know what kind of doc you are seeing but you might want to see a rheumatologist. Most lupies are treated by rheumies.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Carrie, I am one of the lucky ones (25% of Lupus patients also have Fibromyalgia) that has two maladies. I know that I always had worked in a very public, fast paced setting, where I would normally interact with literally dozens of people a day. I also attended college for a few years in a program that had lecture/study groups of 60 or more people in a class. I was used to being around people and in a large arena of people in several settings on a regular basis. It became increasingly harder for me to function outside my home when all of my symptoms first presented. I got to the point that I would get dressed and be five minutes from my destination and I literally had to turn around and go home. I would break out in a sweat, heart pound, and felt literally sick at the thought of having to be in public. I was irritable and wanted no interaction with co-workers, fellow students, family members. This was a complete turn around from the normal "me".

It is hard to know exactly what caused the abrupt change in me. I am puzzled not knowing if it was as a result of not feeling good, being depressed at my onset of symptoms, or if it was the disease process itself. I do know that I was tried on several antidepressants which actually made matters worse for me. I am one of those that AD's actually do the opposite in me. So whether it was as a result of my seeking treatment in the beginning and the results of that treatment or the natural course of my illness, I am at a loss for a definite cause and effect.

I have become more acclimated to being in public since I was started on Lupus meds. I still shy away from large crowds, and I do wait for a good day to venture outside my home and then it is for brief periods of time. But I can go without the constant fear of a dreaded panic attack. I do still have some situations that can bring them on, but they are far more manageable now than in the past. I miss the interaction of people but I also know now what my limitations are on a daily basis. I do have to psyche myself up to attend some functions that are a necessity, but I always make an early escape if at all possible. I guess I am destined to be a semi-hermit.

I do a couple of things to make the experience a little more tolerable. I schedule grocery shopping on weekdays in early hours when it tends to be less crowded. I do most of my gift shopping online and have used mailorder for prescriptions, gifts, etc. I skip the family functions, and opt for short visits for one group (family member) at a time. I avoid malls, go to movies in afternoons, eat out early; all to avoid a crowd. I know that changing long held habits can be troubleesome, but for me, it was a must. I truly understand what you are experiencing.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
(female)

salese HB User

Chemothreapy goodfor lupus that turned to cancer why

Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
(female)

Brenda Thompson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieann30 View Post
Hi, I was told 5 months ago that i had panic attacks. then they found out I had thyroiditis. now im having alot of other problems like a strange rash getting fevers, my joints hurt really bad and when i take a hot shower i hurt really bad when i get out like i cant even walk to my bed, its like im on fire from my knees down. I also have stomach problems and reflux really bad. my dr tried to blame it all on panic attacks but i dont think she can ignore the rash. so she is checking for lupus. Im very scared right now cause i have been in pain now 5 months and if it is lupus then i have no idea what the future holds for me. i mean will it ever go away or will i be in pain for the rest of my life???? will this rash ever go away??? will it kill me? the list goes on and im out of my mind about it and having wicked panic attacks about it. so does anyone have any good stories about lupus? lol im sure no one has good storied but what i mean is does anyone feel ok?

scared out of my mind
carrie

Old 01-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
(female)

Brenda Thompson HB User

Hi Carrie,
My name is Brenda and I understand your fear. I have lupus, RA, OA, fibromyalgia and several other serious diagnosees. On good days, people don't even know I am sick, and some days I can't get out of the bed. I am 62 years old and was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I am an RN and had to quit work about 5 yr ago. I have found that I really have to push myself to do things I don't feel like doing, because I want to remain active. There is no cure for lupus, but you can live a fairly normal life. You just have to recognize the days you will have to take it easy. Stress can and often does (for me) cause flare ups. Those times the pain is definately worse. I have pain every day, but choose to remain active, so I don't take lots of pain meds unless I am in a real bad way. I will pray for you and whatever diagnosis your doctor comes up with.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
(female)

denbever HB User

Have you been tested for Lyme disease

Old 01-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
(female)

tomatoface HB User

Hi Carrie,
I understand what you're experiencing. I was diagnosed with lupus more than 20 years ago and now have RA and some other chronic medical issues - all are well controlled with medication. You will have some days that you need to take it easy, but there will be many days when you feel fine. Once you're on the medication you need you will see a big improvement!
The panic attacks are a whole separate issue. I've had them too, and they're absolutely horrible. Unless you've gone through them you can't comprehend how frightening they are! Mine started "out of the blue" as did others that I know who have had them. (More people than you realize have gone through panic attacks too - it's just that most people don't talk about it)..
I suffered, thinking I was either going to die or was going crazy - this was back when there wasn't much written on the subject. I finally did find a couple of books by a British doctor - they are VERY OLD and outdated, BUT.....these are the books which finally helped me get over the panic attacks. (they are by Dr.Claire Weeks). The language, etc. is old fashioned, but her method of acceptance and keep doing what you're doing despite the horrible rushes of panic,etc. work!! It takes some time, but they will go away and you will feel like yourself again!! I have since helped several friends and family members to overcome their panic attacks. I've been told there are books available which are more up-to-date - I would suggest your local library or book store. Pick out a couple and read small bits of them at a time.
The most important thing is to keep busy - the more you sit around the more time you have to dwell on how you feel.
I hope this has been of some help. I would be glad to go into more detail if you're interested. Good luck - - hang in there --- better times are coming!
tomatoface

Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
(female)

kidd123 HB User

Hi Carrie, There is much fear when faced with a loss, and when it is your health, it is no exception. However, you should find as much positive to think about as you can. I was diagnosed with Lupus 3 years ago, and although it has impacted my life with more dr visits and new meds & some pain, you can adjust. Just take it one day at a time. One of the hardest things for me, before I was diagnosed, was having some of the more obscure symptoms and no one could tell me WHY! I learned to do deep breathing exercises for my panic attacks, and they really worked well if I began them at the very first sign of panic. It is hard to focus on panic when I was holding my breath and counting. ( I never could do two things at once though--ha ha) Another thing that someone said to me was that "everyone eventually has to deal with some health issue or another", & strangely that made me calm down.
The people here on this board are so supportive, unlike friends or neighbors who have no experience with this illness. So hang in there and keep coming here for answers and hugs, ok? I hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Carrie, hi. I was dx'ed 10 years ago. I had PANIC ATTACKS at least 20 years before I was Dx'ed. Mind-blowing! I was stunned. I'd lived an adventerous life, so panic attacks weren't expected. THE GOOD NEWS: Since Dx, taking Plaquenil, and avoiding sun, I've never had another panic attack. So here's hoping that you can get thru this & all your other issues. Most of all, DO NOT get down on yourself. Hang tough, ok? Best wishes, Vee

(P.S. I wore a rubber band on my wrist, to snap when I felt shaky. It helped somewhat as a short-term measure.)

Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
(female)

teeha HB Userteeha HB User

HI
I waqs diagnoised with Lupus last year, along with Hypothyroidism and fribromyalgia. Before all this I was in constant pain all over my body. neck and shoulders would hurt so bad and felt so weak I could hardly hold my head up. My back,my legs, myhips, ankles, wrists...fingers and toes would go numb, and ofcourse with all 3 problems aniexty is associated wiht them, just like hair loss, fatigue and other issues. I have a rash on my face that starts out looking like a pimple then goes into a hive looking rash. This was diagnoised as Tumid Lupus, a form of CLE or as my Family Doc says Discoid Lupus. Anyways everything does come into control at somepoint. Give it over to God ( the aniexty that is) We are all here to help morally.
Teeha

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
(female)

ginlyn911 HB User

Hi
I also have had anxiety attacks but I never attrubuted to the illness but to other things like ptsd or fight or flight. I have also gone thru being emotionally abused and that also brings on the same kind of panic attacks. I have had symptoms since 2000 but it had been diagnosed as RA . I have joint pain but no real damage but inflammatory arthritis. but since going off any and all meds for RA a year ago, Symptoms galore started showing up once all the meds were out of my system. So I have no real doubts. I had to wait for my health insurance to change after the first of the year now it is a matter of finding a rhuemy who knows lupus or starting with a Dermatologist. I have a constant rash on the palm sid of my hands and fingers, fatique and other skin problems. really bad headaches especially during a flare, photosensitivity. I get the mallor rash after being in the sun, and even if I am in the car and the sun is beating on my legs (during the summer time) my leg feels really hot and then starts itching really bad. but the joint pain and the rash on my hands on the palm side are constants. I try to contain any panic attacks I do ok at times and not so good other times.
Thanks sorry this so Long.
ginlyn911

Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
(female)

krazybeeatch HB User

hang in there girl until you get your results. i have had lupus and rheumatoid arthritis since i was 18 (20+ years) and like any disease you have your good and bad times. My best advice is that if you have Lupus please take your meds as directed, give them plenty of time to work even if you aren't getting results right away, move on to the next treatment if it's not right for you. Don't let your doctor blow you off either. Stand your groud and find a good Rheumie that listens to your concerns and takes them seriously. You can manage this disease, unfortunately you have to be tough and responsible for your health (including EVERYTHING, diet, exercise and managing relationships). Find a good support system and you can get to remission or nearly there if not completely. Take care and stay positive!!!

Closed Thread