It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Doc upped the Low Dose Naltrexone

I saw the Rheumie today and reported my experiences with the first 10 wks of LDN therapy. I have had a setback as I did some lifting which did some lower back injury and has been bothersome, but he seemed to think by my initial first few weeks that I was going to get good response from the treatment. So he upped my dosage to 4.5 mg, and got an injection in lower back to try to get over the injury. I know from what I have read on LDN that it is common to start low and gradually increase. I know that I would love to feel like I did in the beginning of therapy long term. So will try and see how the new dosage works. I do think that if not for the back injury, I would be feeling better. It has just been difficult to rest with my back pain. I am hoping the injection will put me back on track. Will keep posting for those interested.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
(female)

heidiclouser HB User
Re: Doc upped the Low Dose Naltrexone

Oh...I'm interested. I brought it up with my rheumy and he is thinking about it. I think I read the doseage can go up to 5mg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

goldfym ......... how is the treatment going?
there is quite a stir with this new treatment ......... really hope it works for you!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Angel, I am quite impressed so far with my results. I was tried as I have a lot of medication allergies and this beat the alternative of Morphine. I am just not ready to try the only pain med left for me. I was started on 3mg and the first rwo weeks were the best two weeks I have had in years. I have hardly had to lie down for more than a couple of hours a week since beginning and I have cut my Tramadol and Muscle relaxants drastically. I have gone days that I do not have to take anything for pain. I am not painfree, mind you, but it is tolerable with the use of heat and topical analgesics. I was taking the maximum of both Tramadol and muscle relaxants prior to beginning and they were not controlling my pain at all. I did experience a setback from a back injury and had injections for that issue and after a couple of weeks of having to take the pain meds, I am finally back on track. I really do think it has helped me immensely. I have more stamina and general feeling of well-being. I too have noticed I seem to be in better spirits as well. I am thrilled that my Rheumatologist tried this alternative to pain med for me.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

johnstonx5 HB User

I am waiting to see the rheumy. I have CEBV and almost every symptom of lupus and ana is positive. I have seen three different docs and asked them about the LDN. They have been reluctant to treat me with it. After being angry about it the neurologist finally made sense when he told me he did not want to start treatment and cover anything up before I got to the rheumy. My apt is not till Feb 18. I am going to bring it up then, too. I have heard so many good things about it. I don't know why Dr.'s are so reluctant to treat patients with it.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I think overall the LDN is still helping. I do have multiple issues other than Lupus and FMS, so I may complain at time, but overall I am better, better spirits, a little more energy, and not taking much for pain. I try to use other methods to curb the pain since I have so many medication issues. I don't know if it is the LDN or not but I do not have any appetite, but I have never been a big fan of food anyway. I am supplementing with a GNC protein shake a day to make sure I don't drop any more weight. I do hope that if you want to try the LDN therapy that you can find a doctor that is familiar with it's use. I do know that I was with this Rheumatologist almost 3 years before he tried it. I do think my medication sensitivities had him go to some alternative (multiple pain and even anesthetic, steroid allergies) med trial for me. I know I am reading good things about the therapy as well. I am an advocate for anything that will make our lives more manageable.

Closed Thread