It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

laotzu04 HB User
Newbie w question: Does Lupus show up on MRI lumbar spine?

Ive been having terrible burning pain in my lower back radiating down my left leg. My left hip has muscle waste. There is a huge indentation w small nodule also there and the dermatologist thought it may be early morphea but I also had a cortisone injection in that hip and the punch biopsy was unable to determine if the nodule was caused by injection or morphea (cells werent characteristic of morphea but unable to rule out) as it was focal fat necrosis.

The past few years have been a medical nightmare. The past few months neurological symptoms have gotten a lot worse. I'm a teacher, I have a master's degree and at times I cant even think of the correct words to say or I jumble them up together. I have headaches every day. My vision is distorted, especially the left side. I was sent to a neurologist a few weeks back who said I seem neurologically healthy. MRI brain and EEG were to rule out MS and neuro said I dont have MS.

Ive been to see many doctors in this diagnostic phase. My dermatologist and rheumatologist feel I have Lupus and have done bloodwork to back it up on several occasions. My RH factor is also positive and was told my inflammatory markers are sky high. And I have a lot of the physical symptoms of lupus which are affecting nearly every body system.

My question is whether or not Lupus would show up on an MRI? My MRI head was normal (I guess_they said no evidence of MS) and my MRI lumbar Spine done Tuesday was also normal (bone dr suspects nerve damage being the cause of muscle waste in that left hip and my terrible burning pain,tingling, stabbing etc).

My Rheumatologist said Im wasting away

I'm 34 to school teacher. Ive felt terrible for nearly two years and it has progressively gotten worse. How can it be determined if lupus is effecting the central nervous system? I feel so awful in the first place and now with all these neurological symptoms my quality of life has been drastically changed. (though mostly from the pain and extreme fatigue- feel like I always have the flu)
Ive been to see a slew of doctors mostly to rule out other diagnosis. (have lots of kidney stones in both kidneys and unusually prominent veins in my uterus, and degenerating discs in my lower back) but always referred back to my rheumatologist to maintain my autoimmune disease.

If anyone has had similar neurological issues, please advise me what to do. I recently started medications that I'm hopeful will get the autoimmune under control, but all the symptoms etc were present before my treatments began. There is just so much more but I feel I've taken enough of your time and I appreciate your time for reading this post and any advice is greatly appreciated.
Many many thanks, j.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Newbie w question: Does Lupus show up on MRI lumbar spine?

Lupus is diagnosed by a series of lab tests. I would not think one could be diagnosed with a MRI as that examines for structural defects, like fractures, herniations, soft tissue damage. The lab test required to diagnose lupus includes blood studies for Rheumatoid factors, and antibodies, and for indicators of present and past inflammation. There is a post at the top of this category (sticky) that details the lab tests used in diagnosing lupus and there is also a wonderful thread on lupus treatment at the top also.

It is not uncommon for one to be evaluated for MS to rule out that possibility. I do have some neuro type symptoms, but I have some spine issues and Fibromyalgia and lupus. Some Neuro problems are seen in lupus and Fibromyalgia as well. BTW 25% of Lupus patients also have Fibromyalgia.

Last edited by goldyfm; 12-22-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: additional comment

Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

laotzu04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyfm View Post
Lupus is diagnosed by a series of lab tests. I would not think one could be diagnosed with a MRI as that examines for structural defects, like fractures, herniations, soft tissue damage. The lab test required to diagnose lupus includes blood studies for Rheumatoid factors, and antibodies, and for indicators of present and past inflammation. There is a post at the top of this category (sticky) that details the lab tests used in diagnosing lupus and there is also a wonderful thread on lupus treatment at the top also.

It is not uncommon for one to be evaluated for MS to rule out that possibility. I do have some neuro type symptoms, but I have some spine issues and Fibromyalgia and lupus. Some Neuro problems are seen in lupus and Fibromyalgia as well. BTW 25% of Lupus patients also have Fibromyalgia.
Thanks you for taking the time post this useful information. I have had repeated blood work and test positive ANA and Rh factors with sky high inflamatory markers and my rheumatologist said I'm developing into the classis sle case. I just cant imagine with all my back and hip pain and muscle deterioration that nothing at all was found on my MRI. I guess I'm considered a bad case right now because I'm taking: Methotrexate once a week, prednisone, mobic, plaquinil, folics acid, and gabapentin a few times daily and feel sumwhat of an improvement though I'm only a few weeks into the methotrexate therapy. I just wondered what tests can pinpont if lupus if effecting my CSN. I will definitely peruse the stickys at the top of the board and I appreciate your taking the time to reply to me.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
(female)

madeleena668 HB User

could it be polymyosititis

Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
(female)

laotzu04 HB User

I will look into that as I've never heard of it. Thank you.

Closed Thread