It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Please HELP w/bloodwork

Hello everyone, For years I have suffered with symptoms suspicious to Lupus as well as doctors suspecting it but bloodwork was questionable. Can you please tell me if anything here seems suspicious?

Igm serum - 950 (very high) normal range is 48-271
Anti-nuclear AB - equiviocal
Anti-nuclear AB titer - high
ANA pattern - speckled.

I am being referred (again) to immunologist since these tests are not to recent however my regular doc did send out a couple of tests yesterday just for reference.
Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Please HELP w/bloodwork

No clues anyone?? Just looking for ideas - I know it's not much but really any ideas would be helpful - the high igm is really high and confusing! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

kdel, I think ANA is only a threshold test, because it can be positive in multiple rheumatological conditions and in other conditions *outside* of rheumatology. In other words, it doesn't prove any particular disease in any particular specialty. You could ask in what conditions it elevates.

You could ask which *more specific* autoantibody tests have been run. By that I mean things like anti-ds-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro, anti-La, antiphospholipid, anti-RNP, etc. (Those are possible in lupus & close cousins.)

Most of all, you could ask in what conditions IgM elevates. Maybe it correlates more with things OTHER than lupus?

When's your appt. with the immunologist? Wishing you GOOD LUCK, Vee

Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi Veej and thanks for replying. So far all I've been told about the igm is that it indicates an inflammatory process. This is not a one time high - it's always this high. I do not yet have an appt. as I am awaiting some blood test results right now from my primary.
I did have one doc think I have Lupus due to symptoms and some of the bloodwork but she was hesitant to treat as she said it could also be my Fibromyalgia causing everything. The last time I saw her was about 3 years ago. She did say I should come back and show her the rash I get from the sun however, the rash I get is very painful and affects more than just my skin so I have really done my best to avoid it. This is just exhausting trying to get answers!

Closed Thread