It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

jane8888 HB User
Can H1N1 cause lupus?

My daughter is 22 and after receiving the H1N1 vaccine she broke out in a horrible rash...it has taken many weeks, test, etc and she has now been diagnosed with and autoimmune disease - probable mixed connective tisssue disease. Can H1N1 cause or make Lupus worse?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Can H1N1 cause lupus?

Hi & welcome! I'm sorry for your daughter's troubles. Did she actually see her tests? I'm asking only because I *think* I've read that MCTD correlates to an autoantibody called "anti-RNP".

I haven't read or heard anything that suggests H1N1 can cause lupus or anything autoimmune, but I'm only a patient, of course... I actually wonder if the reverse is more likely: that people with aberrant immune function may be more susceptible to viruses like H1N1, etc.

I've noticed over the last 10 years that when people I'm close to have flu, colds, etc., I almost never get what they have, but I get a lupus "hit".

Did a dermatologist biopsy your daughter's skin rash? Biopsies can be very helpful in diagnosing lupus rashes, is why I asked.

Bye for now, with best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

Did dhe get the live virus version of H1N1?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
(female)

darkwater HB User

So sorry that something that is supposed to be as simple as getting vaccinated has turned into something more for your daughter.

What I have read is that getting an autoimmune disease is a combination of factors, some of which are genetic and others that are due to the things a person experiences in their life or environment. If a person who already has a genetic predisposition for some illness and then they experience some kind of physical trauma or extreme stress-and perhaps H1N1 would fall into that category-then that might be a trigger for the disease to begin expressing itself, because the body's immune system was preoccupied or weakened because of dealing with some other illness or condition. I know the vaccine is not the same as getting the virus itself, but the immune system does spring into action to deal with the vaccination.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

grace70 HB User

Hi, Not sure if you are still loolking for an answer, but wanted to let you know that I too have MCTD. Mine was diagnosed after a serious bout of pnemonia, both a bacterial and viral kind. They don't know if it triggered my autoimmune disease but suspect it might have. I know it says that MCTD might be triggered by a type of virus, environmental factors etc.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by grace70; 02-02-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
(female)

cardani HB User

Are you in Canada or any European countries? I know that they used a new adjuvant in the H1N1 vaccines in Canada. My lupus clinic told everyone with lupus or suspected lupus (or RA, or any other autoimmune disease) to NOT get the vaccine and they got their own supply of the unadjuvated vaccine (that was reserved for babies and pregant women) which is identical to the regular flu shot.

In the US they had unadjuvated vaccines all over. The adjuvant theoretically can cause autoimmune diseases to worsen or appear, and 21 is a prime age for the appearance of an autoimmune disease in your daughter. My mom is a public health nurse and went to a presentation by a man with a PhD in immunology who has RA and works for the vaccine manufacturer and he said that he was not ever going to get an adjuvated vaccine. There is also an adjuvant in the Gardasil shots which I suspect brought out my autoimmune symptoms at the age of 20.

I hope things have gotten better for your daughter!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
(female)

sugspc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane8888 View Post
My daughter is 22 and after receiving the H1N1 vaccine she broke out in a horrible rash...it has taken many weeks, test, etc and she has now been diagnosed with and autoimmune disease - probable mixed connective tisssue disease. Can H1N1 cause or make Lupus worse?
I would like to know the answer to that question myself. My two step daughters got the H1N1 shot in October or November. Now BOTH of them have an autoimmune disease. The oldest had JRA and the youngest is now getting tested for Lupus!

I'm wondering if this vaccine triggered these diseases. There mothers side of the family has a high risk of auto immune diseases. The girls never had a strong reaction until after the shot. The flare ups and joint pains. Of course the government won't admit this otherwise would cause panic.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
(female)

MamaDye HB User

I have no idea; however, our son had H1n1 and now has some terrible autoimmune disorder going on. Your post is going to have me look at lupus. I do not even know the symptoms. I hope your daughter is better; H1n1 contracted in any form was just devastating to young folks and we want answers too. If you have found out anything else, please let us know and we wish you and your family all the best and a speey recovery to your daughter.
Mama Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane8888 View Post

Closed Thread