It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Tanning beds and rashes

I'm just wondering - Does anyone know if a tanning bed would cause the same type of rash as the natural sun?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

heidiclouser HB User
Re: Tanning beds and rashes

I expect tanning beds emit UVA and UVB rays. Even flourescent lights can trigger lupus symptoms. I'd get some good faux tanning lotion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi and thanks for replying. I guess I should have explained a little better - the reason I ask is because I get a horrible rash from the sun and doctors have not seen it as I do everything I can to avoid it BUT I am getting frustrated and was considering doing this to myself so that I would have the rash when I go in for my appt. So that is the reason for my question.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

At the risky of causing a major flare, I would steer clear of tanning beds. If we are advised to wear sunscreens, avoid flourescent lighting and wear protective covering, I would think even the shortest time in a tanning bed could stimulate some potentially dangerous reaction. I know that for years I could stay out in the sun all day and not even turn pink. Now I can barely stick my head out the door and I get suddenly red and weak. I don't think I would take a chance just to prove a point. Maybe taking a photo would be a safer alternative.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Yes I know you're correct, I'm just frustrated I guess. I wouldn't actually put my whole body in - My niece works in a tanning salon and I was thinking maybe just an arm?? I know it's nuts as I can and do get the rash from just a little exposure. Flourescent lights! OMG - Is this why I have problems everytime I go to the supermarket?? You may have just answered a question that has been driving me insane (not to mention my husband who thinks I'm insane when I tell him). So what happens to you (if you don't mind sharing) in flourescent light?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

I wouldn't do even an arm especially since you are really sensitive. It will happen again.

When I'm under flourescent lights I get light headed and foggy. The next day I am more fatigued. When I was working I had the flourescent bulbs above my desk unscrewed. Some call the feeling "mall fog".

Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Me too, Heidi, I hate going to Walmart or the grocery store or any large department store. I know I try to get in and out in under twenty minutes tops. I have found that any longer produces faintness, headaches and weak knees, I almost passed out in a ?walmart alone one day and I can't tell you how glad I was to get out of there. I know that even the CFL that are recommended for home use cause me problems. I have a 15 watt in a spot task light next to my chair, other than that, I usually leave a light on in another room and only use overhead lights if absolutely necessary. I have always preferred to watch TV in the dark, so at least that is not a problem for me. But I also have light sensitivity so I have lived in the dark for a long time.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
(female)

AmyTx HB User

i went to a tanning bed 10 years ago and i left sun burned... then 3 hours later i had intense itching i kept going back until one day i developed sun poisoning from a tanning bed and i swelled up and itched like crazy..if i were you i wouldnt do it.. i was misrable..

Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi everyone - I just took a book out of the library by Dr. Wallace - I think it was veej who suggested it? Alot of info in there so far - Thanks veej! Also he says the same - no tanning beds as they can bring on more than just a rash. So far I have only skimmed through it but will read more today.
goldfym -it's really interesting to know that when you go to Walmart you have these symptoms - mine are similar - I get suddenly weak, disoriented, dizzy - legs shake hands shake - start to sweat and almost pass out- it's horrible! Though I'm sorry this happens to you also it's refreshing in a way to know I'm not the only one this happens to. I had no idea what this was from and it was happening mostly in shop rite so I started to go to walmart instead and it was a little better but then they remodeled the store and now it's worse than shop rite. They put in these huge flourescent lights that sort of hang lower. So frustrating. Have you figured any way to lessen these symptoms?

Closed Thread