It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

ems44 HB User
test results

Hi, I had a positive ana titer of 1:40. My doctor did some more testing and I tested positive on a DNAse-B Antibody of 257. I am so confused to what this could mean. Please help anyone.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: test results

ems44, hello & welcome. I'm just a patient, so please take my words as ideas for questions to ask your drs., meaning not as answers.

There are permanent info posts ("sticky posts") at the top of the thread list. In one, you'll find the diagnostic criteria for systemic lupus. They're complex and layered because there's no single finding that proves lupus. To be dx'ed with the systemic form, SLE, generally you must meet 4 or more. These may be met over time, not necessarily simultaneously.

ANA is only a threshold test. It suggests the immune system is mistakenly manufacturing *some kind* of antibodies directed against one's own cell matter. When ANA is positive, drs. do *more specific* tests to see WHICH autoantibodies are being created, then they consider the diseases to which those more specific findings correlate.

Anti-DNA is one of just two specific autoantibodies thought to correlate highly to lupus; the other is anti-Sm. (Others are seen as correlating but less strongly.) A positive result means your immune system is mistakenly creating antibodies against DNA in your cells. You could ask how strong your result is, meaning weakly positive, highly positive, etc.

In your shoes, my next step would be to discuss your findings with a rheumatologist, because that's the specialty best versed in lupus. Also discuss all your symptoms & which *other* criteria you may meet. Also, ask if the OTHER usual tests were run (like standard bloodwork, urinalysis, etc.) Plus,I'd read a lot (the sticky posts have suggestions).

The #1 thing to know right now: if it DOES turn out to be lupus, treatment is certainly available! The goal is to quell production of autoantibodies & to stay subacute (no major organ involvement). Many people do reasonably well with proper treatment & sometimes lifestyle changes. Anyway, I hope this gives you a head start. Post when you can, OK? Warm wishes to you, Vee P.S. HANG IN THERE!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
(female)

ems44 HB User

so is the DNase-B antibody a antidna test?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

ems44, I *suspect* DNAse-B isn't the same as anti-ds-DNA or anti-ss-DNA, but only your doctors can provide a professional explanation!

When someone's ANA elevates and symptoms are present, I think doctors sometimes have to cast a wide net & also consider the possibility of multiple things going on simultaneously. So you may want to ask what OTHER tests were done & why. Good luck! Vee

Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

DNase-B antibody test is used when someone may have had a streptococci infection, including infection in the kidney. It can stay elevated for many weeks.
Did your doctor do other kidney related tests? BUN, Creatinine?

Closed Thread