It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

kinikki HB User
Are these antibody levels normal for a positive

Hi Everyone, I have had symtoms for the last ten + yrs. I have gone to many doctors including rheumatologists for years and have had many tests done. I have had a positive ANA for yrs, then a Positive SS B. Now, after yrs of negative results I have a positive RNP 1.0 (normal is <9 as per the lab) and a positive anti SM 1.5 (Norm being <9) and I have a histone antibody 3.5. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these numbers are very low for a positive result or not. Also has anyone else not tested positive for years before finally testing positive? PS now my SS B is negative, what can this all mean? Thank you.

Last edited by kinikki; 02-13-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Are these antibody levels normal for a positive

Kinikki, hi. I don't know whether these are considered low-positives (sorry).

I tested negative for a long time, despite frequent rashes, pain, fatigue, migraines, hair loss, GI & urinary problems, etc. BUT there may be a logical reason for that. I *think* certain autoantibodies rise & fall with flares, but I'm not sure which (sorry); you could ask your dr. Also, I've read some people take a long time to evolve.

Speaking of reading, have you seen the sticky posts (permanent info posts) at the top of the thread list? They contain very useful info.

Do you have many symptoms? Has your rheumie given this a name yet, such as lupus, mixed connective tissue disease, or undifferentiated connective tissue disease? Are you on any meds? Hope you post more, with best wishes, Vee

P.S. My dx (finally) was Ro-lupus = negative ANA but positive SSA (anti-Ro). I don't remember whether my SSB turned positive, though (sorry). After yrs. of being a MESS, I went to a rheumie affiliated with a teaching hospital. BINGO: got answers & treatment in less than a month. DO KEEP TRYING, OK?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

kinikki HB User

Hi, Veej. I do have many symptoms unfortunately, I have had at different times hair loss, sores that do not go away, raynauds, peripheral neuropathy, pain, shortness of breath, anxiety, fibromyalgia, cognitive problems, fatigue and arthritis with and without swollen joints (I have also had strange things at times like black lines under my finger nails, no periods, & facial flushing). My rheummy finally said lupus when the last results came in and I am starting plaqunil, (I tried prednisone too but had really bad anxiety attacks). Even after all these years of suspecting I had lupus I still cried when the dr told me, maybe I was also a little bit relieved to finally know what was causing this and there is hope for treatment. Thank you very much for responding, I am so glad there are resources like this website to help people understand more about illnesses and communicate with others facing the same issues. Take care.
- Nicole

Old 02-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Nicole. I was told that Plaquenil can take as long as 4-6 months to reach its FULL effect. May it kick it fast for you! It did for me. I felt its impact within 1 month, then even better from there on.

I cried, too. No wonder! It's not news we want to hear. But know that many people can stay pretty stable, with proper treatment and checkups.

I'm glad you found us. People here do understand & will always post back. Know that you're never alone. We'll all look forward to your updates. Warm wishes & a big hug, Vee

Old 02-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
(female)

sicklady HB User

Vee, I still have yet to find the sticky post. I'm new here although I've been reading post for several months. I'm not good on the computer either. I've tried to write my own questions and can't even get them on. I think I have Lupus. I have most of the same symtoms as the rest. I've had 2 Poss ANA, with 1;320 titer and homogenoeous pattern. and 1 with poss ANA, 1;80 titer homogenoeous pattern then a neg. No rash unless I'm in the sun and it on the chest. My rheummy says it's fibro. but I think it's lupus It's been 2 years of pure awful sickness. Any input?

Thanks sicklady

Last edited by sicklady; 02-14-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Sicklady, the thread titles for permanent info posts are prefaced with the word "sticky". Also, there's a thumbtack icon in one column.

Did you get copies of your bloodwork? Did your rheumie run more specific autoantibody tests? Has a dermatologist ever seen your rash?

I think many of us had a very tough time finding answers, with some still looking. Please know you're not alone. I don't think I appreciated until after I was diagnosed how tough it is, even for fine doctors, to diagnose conditions that flare & recede. Plus so many of us can look so normal, even when we feel awful. For that reason alone, rashes can be very useful: they're undeniably THERE. They can be biopsied & also tested with special stains that can often (but not always) show a pattern that's considered very diagnostic of lupus. More later, Vee

P.S. See blue button labeled "NEW THREAD", main screen, upper left?

Last edited by VeeJ; 02-15-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: added P.S.

Closed Thread