It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

laeedo HB User
+ tests and confused- could I have Lupus?

I recently broke out in very severe hives. I have had hives like this a few other times in the past and never figured out why. I saw a rhuematologist who ran some tests. My ANA and Cardiolipin Antibody tests came back positive. But the dr said the test for Lupus was negative. What does this mean? There is a history of Lupus and autoimmune disorders in my family and I am a little worried. I have also had unexplained joint pain and recurrent miscarriages and stillbirths in the past. I feel very confused and dont know anything about the two tests that came back positive. Are hives a symptom of lupus? Can anyone tell me what these tests mean?

Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: + tests and confused- could I have Lupus?

Welcome! First, I'm only a patient, so please read this in that light!

Have you read the permanent info posts at the top of the thread list? Look for the word "sticky" at the start of thread titles.

Alas, there isn't any single test for lupus, per the sticky with lupus diagnostic criteria. You generally must meet 4 or more of the 11, at some time, meaning not necessarily all at once. To complicate matters, some test values may rise/fall with flares, so I suspect that "negatives" aren't necessarily permanent. If symptoms persist, I hope your dr. retests!

Speaking of your dr: is he/she a rheumatologist?

Another slippery concept: ANA in & of itself doesn't point to any single condition, because it may be positive in quite a few conditions, is the problem.

I *think* anticardiolipin is one important indicator of APS, a blood clotting disorder. It's separate & distinct from lupus, but the two sometimes co-exist. Quite a few lupus patients have APS in addiition to lupus, some people have only APS, and many people have only lupus. (Draw 2 circles that overlap only partially, one representing lupus, the other APS.)

I *think* hives are more prevalent in people with lupus. But since a lot of people get hives who don't have lupus, I suspect you'd need a much deeper look. Have you seen a dermatologist?

Clear as MUD, huh?! I hope you post more soon. Glad you found us. Warm wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread