It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

watoozie HB User
Heart Palpations & purple toes

For three years I've had heart palpations sometimes they are so hard they wake me at night. Three toes on my left foot were purple and of course my rheumy & reg. doc says there is no connection, did a EKG and says everything is okay. Now I have two blood clots in my left leg. This happened in mid Dec. been on blood thinners and my toes are not purple anymore and I haven't had any more palpations. Both my docs say it has nothing to do with anything, there is no connection. I think they think I am nuts!!! I am wondering about them. LOL

Old 02-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

heidiclouser HB User
Re: Heart Palpations & purple toes

Sounds like time for a second opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
(female)

johnstonx5 HB User

Have your toes turned purple before? Are you saying the doctor does not think the palpitations have anything to do with purple toes and blood clots? (just trying to make sure I am reading your post correctly). I would make an apt with a cardiologist.
I have had arrhythmias. I have had 2 EKG's done and they came back normal. I don't know how because I could feel them during the EKG. My fingers and toes turn blue/purple and white and sometimes my neck will feel like someone has their hands around it and squeezing. I get short of breath and the veins in my hands will bulge out.
This Friday I am scheduled to have a ct scan, echo and a pulmonary test to test my lung capacity. They are looking for possible pericardia or pleurisy.
My rheumatologist told me that all of these symptoms where common in lupus.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
(female)

watoozie HB User

I've had the palpations for about 3 yrs, purple toes for at least 2 yrs and blood clots in my leg in mid Dec. My rheumy thought he heard an extra heart beat but by the time the EKG was done it was over and it didn't pick up anything. I would have to travel hrs. to get another rheymy. He is the only one around here. It just seems to me that since I've been on the blood thinner I haven't had any palpations and my toes look normal.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

Are you seeing a cardiologist?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
(female)

watoozie HB User

No, my rheumy and reg. doctor doesn't think anything is wrong, because two EKG's didn't pick up anything.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
(female)

heidiclouser HB User

Time for a second opinion.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
(female)

johnstonx5 HB User

The fact that you have had blood clots should tell them there is a problem. It does not necessarily mean heart condition but you could have a blood clotting disorder. Have you been checked for leiden factor V (sp?).
I would definitely be seeking a second opinion. Does your insurance require referalls? Another option is to be very frank with your doc and rheumy. Tell them you want to be certain about what is going on and your life as of right now is in their hands. Should something happen to you because they refused you appropriate care then your blood is on their hands. Then you can let them know you have complained about this problem to many other people and are aware of their 'lack' of involvement.
This will either frighten them into sending you to a cardiologist or frighten them into dropping you as a patient giving you the freedom to go elsewhere.
This opinion might be far fetched but it is your health.

Closed Thread