It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

pinetree3 HB User
Swollen Knee

I have been told I have Lupus, Ra, Fibro, and Sogrens. A few years ago I had both knees replaced. I have been either walking a mile a day or riding recumbent bike. In Oct. I noticed pain in my rt knee that was increasing and gradually swelled alot. My doctor sent me to ortho and he drew the fluid out (ouch!!) and xrayed it - everything was fine and said it was a rheumy problem.

Then I went to rheumy who said he wouldn't touch it since it was a replacement. And just gave me more prednisone, which I had just finished for inflamed vein. I didn't take it. I hate prednisone and not sure I trust this dr. When I asked him if this could be the lupus, he said I didn't have lupus, although he has told me I did 3 different times. Then checked his papers and said oh maybe. I don't have any faith in him. Nearest other dr is 2 hours away.

Question- What could have caused this and would the prednisone help? When the ortho drew the fluid out , it was back that evening. Hurts too. I am walking with a cane outside the house. Any ideas, Please? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
(female)

johnstonx5 HB User
Re: Swollen Knee

I think you should take your chances on a dr. 2hrs away. It takes me 1 1/2 hrs to get to mine. So far he and his p.a have been wonderful. 2hrs is not a long drive for peace of mind about your health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Pinetree, I believe there are multiple possible reasons for water on the knee, like trauma, something torn, overuse, certain underlying conditions, etc. And I think there are otheer diagnostic tests (not just X-ray)? Did you contact the dr. who did your knee replacements? That's where I'd probably start. Good luck, Vee

Old 03-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

I agree - you need to go back to the surgeon, have him take out more fluid and send the fluid for microscopic examination, for cells, crystals, culture/bacteia. Something is going on if you swelled up the next day. Try that before you make a 2 hr. drive.....it could be a normal variation of have a TKA done. You might want to check another forum to see if other people have experienced this.....

Did your surgeon tell you to check back with him if the problem persists?? No one wants an infected joint replacement!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
(female)

pinetree3 HB User

Thanks for replies! The first thing I did was go back to the surgeon who did the replacements. He's the one who drew the fluid out and xrayed everything. No infection and perfect xrays. As far as I can remember I had no injury to the knee, no falling, twisting, ect.

After he took fluid out it was back by evening. If I trusted my rheumy, I would try the prednisone again, but I was already on it!

Just wondering if anyone else had fluid on knee and what they found was the cause. I'm probably going to make the trip to the distant dr. Just stalling because of the snow and I am not use to driving in a big major city which he where he is.

I'm kind of discouraged because I was walking so regularly and it helped me feel better. Now I use a cane.

Last edited by pinetree3; 03-01-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Pinetree, the top thing I was wondering about is whether X-rays alone are enough for some people. I'm only a patient! But that's what I'd ask, if I were in your shoes.

My mom had fluid on one knee repeatedly, but VERY late in life, attributed to circulatory problems = weak heart. A friend, MUCH younger, had fluid on one knee repeatedly, finally attributed to torn meniscus. For her, I *think* that was found on MRI. Point is, I'm sure her poblem wasn't seen on X-ray.

I hope you learn more soon. Best wishes, Vee

Closed Thread