It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

lolo3132 HB User
Red face The appointment

OMG...to say the doctor LACKED any kind of bedside manner is not even close. He came in with an attitude, barely let me ask questions or explain anything. All I can think is the previous appointment went badly. At one point he said (when discussing fatigue), "Well I'm tired too." I'm thinking,"you did NOT just say that!" Oh yes he did! OMG. I should have walked out...but I pushed on....then at one point after slamming me with contradictions to every comment I made, he said "I don't want to frustrate you..." and I basically screamed back "Well you are!" At that point he shifted back a hair and started asking questions. It wasn't until about 45 minutes into the appointment that he actually looked at my hands or did any physical evaluation. 45 minutes that were very apparent that he hadn't looked at ANY of the paperwork that I was told I had to bring with me.....why bring it then???

When I told him why I thought I didn't have Lupus he asked me why I was there. I told him because my original bloodwork showed that I did and that the first rheumy told me that is what I had but then said there was nothing to do, and buh byee. I said you can't do that...take blood, tell someone they have Lupus, and then send them on their way. At the very least give me info and tell me what to expect. He rolled his eyes at me.

Am I not understanding any of this?? Am I mistaken to think/understand that Lupus is a bigger deal than just sending someone on their way??? I don't understand.......

What it came down to is this: he agreed that I probably didn't have Lupus, that the ANA test that I had wasn't more specific than Positive or Negative (he is going to do the immunoflorescent which he said was more specific than the ELISA), that because the ANA came back positive warranted another look, that if it came back positive, but negative for Lupus or others that it still warranted more looking to find out why.

I asked could the ANA be positive for any other reasons (I knew the answer but asked anyway...the other rheumy I saw said no even though I knew yes). He said yes. I asked if the RNP could be positive for any other reason OR could it be wrong. He said it could be wrong.

SO, did another blood test and will get the results next week....and I'll let you know.

What a jerk.

Last edited by lolo3132; 03-18-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: The appointment

Lolo, I read your post and cringed. I do think you should wait for the test results, to see what they indicate. But I'm so sorry your appt was so uncomfortable and bizarre. I know that feeling. But you won't let that stop you from trying, right? HANG IN THERE. Keep us posted, best wishes, Vee

Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

lolo3132 HB User
Re: The appointment

It won't be the first crappy appointment I've ever been too, that's for sure. There was another doctor years ago he was this guy's identical twin....hmmm? maybe I should have asked?? ...at the last appointment I was with him, he literally threw from across the room a box of anti-depressants and basically screamed "When you get done with those then you can come back and see me!" Needless to say I never went back.

So, I'll wait for the results which should be back Mon/Tues, and go from there. Don't think I'll go back to him though. I don't need to tortured unnecessarily...hopefully will get a response on the phone or at least have them mailed to me.

Closed Thread