It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
(male)

loveandlight HB User
Need help ANA 1:160 speckled

I have been dealing with a facial rash that has grown in the past three years and accelerated in frequency.

I have also experienced deep depression, anxiety, memory loss, chronic fatigue, heart pains, lung pains, blood splinters in toenails, pain in abdomen, headaches and hair loss.

I added up all the symptoms and began a search. It seemed many things point to Lupus. I went to a clinic and ordered tests that might help isolate lupus. All the blood count test were normal althou on the low side. The only test that came back positive was the ANA (anti nucleus) at 1:160 speckled.

I took the results to a dr. who tells me I don;t have lupus, (i am out of the age range, i am just depressed or anxious). He ordered a chest x-ray and abdominal sonagram. All came back in a normal. he is ordering up another batch of tests to determine what may be the cause including a look into my thyroid.

My question is do you believe I may have lupus.

I found the link with just my symptoms when i knew nothing of lupus and therefore ordered the specific tests. Then the main test for lupus ANA (apparently) came back positive with a pattern (speckled) that is indicative of lupus.

I have clearly been dealing with a rash (possibly maylar) which the dr. tells me is a fungus rash, it has been dogging me for over three years, progressively larger. Is this possible just an untreated microbial type rash.

Believe me i do not want to hear i have lupus, however i think the dr. is treating me like i am a dolt because i took it upon myself to look into this independantly through the internet.

Granted i do not have anemia or joint pains though they do ache hear and there, normal for my age probably.

Obviously the elevated ANA means something right.

Can anyone help me please.

Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Need help ANA 1:160 speckled

Welcome. I suggest you read the sticky posts at the top of this thread that deals with Lupus diagnostics. It has a lot of good information. Was the doctor that ruled out Lupus a Rheumatologist? Generally one does not have to have all the symptoms or labs to be diagnosed, merely a combo of some. Reading the lab post above should shed some light on that concern.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

loveand light, hi & welcome! Having been thru many years of problems, I found out I didn't ask the right questions. But I'm only a patient, so please read what I write in that light, OK?

First off, have you seen the sticky posts = permanent info posts, at the top of the thread list? They have info on tests, comprehensive books you can borrow from your local library, etc.

Next, do you have copies of your test results? ANA is only one of MANY tests that may be run when an autoimmune is being considered. But it's only a threshold test, MEANING more specific tests may be run. Were they?

As for your AGE: I honestly don't think age is a "high" criteria. Lupus & close cousins can appear at many ages, I think. There's even a "subset" of lupus that tends to appear later, when older people take more meds; it's called drug-induced lupus, abbreviated DILE. I would NOT want any dr. ruling ANYTHING in or out based solely on age,

For your skin rash, has it been biopsied by a dermatologist or dermatopathologist? There are immune stain tests that can be run where lupus is supected that can be VERY helpful to a diagnosis.

Most of my drs. treated me like a dolt, too. (I was an IDIOT for being cowed.) After decades, I was clued in by a local dr. that it might be lupus. I then went to a metro teaching hospital rheumie & got help in a few weeks, after all those years. Finding a dr. who believes you & listens is so important. They exist, we just have to find them. Don't quit! Hope you post more soon. Sending my best wishes, Vee

Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
(male)

loveandlight HB User

Thankyou all for your suggestions and help.

I ave had other tests. All regular lood work was normal though some counts were a little on the low end of the safe scale.

I had a anti DNA test that was negative, also I do not show signs of anemia. I had a Ac. anti micro (tpo)

Ac. Anti Triglobulina
Comp C3 Neflometri
Comp C4 Nef
Anti SSA
Anti SSB
Anti Sm

all were negative.

C.H.C.M. normal RDW
MPV
Plaquets
all normal range
I spoke to a doctor at the lab and she told me it is not Lupus also, I am having more tests collected today that the original Dr asked me to get after I showed him the first results. I think this is to narrow down other possibilities.

Can all this really be from anxiety and stress. Would all the stress ect cause the positive ANA test.

I read now that positive ANA can be found in many people though normally older

I will post the new results

Also had an anti RPN
and Anticentromero

also negative

love and light to all

Closed Thread