It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

Dominique HB User
I am 33 and living with lupus and Breast Cancer

I am 33 and African American living with Lupus SLE and Breast Cancer. I started developing and menstruating at the age of 9. My periods have always been very short and painful. I gave birth at an early age ( 19 years old) . I am glad that I did because when my husband and I tried again at the age of 25 I was diagnosed with Lupus SLE and could not have children. My Lupus is pretty server , with facial and bodily rashes , extreme sensitivity to the sun,. bone and joint pain, mouth sores, migraines,lung, kidney and intestinal problems. I also have chronic low white blood cell count as well as anemia. I have been hospitalized once a year for the last 3 years due to these issues. October of 2009 I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductile Cancer in the left breast.By the time I went in to surgery the tumor doubled in size. I opted for a double mastectomy with no reconstruction. I have had 4 rounds of Adriamycin and Cytoxan one round once every 3 weeks. Now I am on my third treatment of Taxol once a week for 12 weeks. I have to take the Neupogen shots to build up my white blood cell count throughout my treatment. I am tolerating things ok,I guess. I wanted to reach out to anyone going through the same issue and hear how your treatment is going or how it went for support.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
Re: I am 33 and living with lupus and Breast Cancer

Hello Dominique and welcome to the Health Boards.
You may consider reposting your thread to the cancer boards. You may get better feedback and quicker going that route.
I have not had cancer, but my mom is a recent cancer survivor. She had non hodgkins large Bcell lymphoma. An advanced but treatable phase of this cancer. However - she was 72 at the time, and the doctors really only thought at best she would be around 5 years or so. She is in remission at this time and we are thankful. What I remember about her treatments, chemo, is that all of it is very taxing physically, mentally and emotionally. She is a fighter and from the sound of your writing, you are too. I hope and pray you have strong family and friends supporting you in this part of your life's journey. The shots for increasing the white cell count are not fun - but necessary if you want to beat this thing! I know you do. Hang in there - try reposting this on the cancer board, and I hope you know that we are here for you - you are not alone in your fight.
Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
(female)

Dominique HB User

Thank you for welcoming me. I have posted my unique situation on many different discussion boards and had the same kind of reaction. Breast Cancer people telling me to post onthe Lupus boards and Lupus people telling me to post on the Breast Cancer boards. It's to be expected I guess, my doctors dont know what to do with me but I was hopeful that I could connect with people on both sides to make sense of my issues.
Your dealing with quite a bit yourself. I hope that you and your mother are well. Good luck,and God Bless.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

Oh Dominique - I didn't mean to send you 'off' anywhere - Write all you need to - eventually some of the really seasoned vets on this board will see your post and chime it. They always do. Having multiple physical issues I think is more normal than one speciliazed ailment. Lupus SLE and Breast Cancer is definitely a difficult combo. I like it so much that you said - you 'are living with' this. LIVING is the best part of your phrase to me. Words are so strong and have immeasureable impact on all things. It can bring life or death. You have chosen life, from what you write. I know there are highs and lows in everyday - Sometimes if we were to draw them on a graph, it would look rather seismic as we hit peaks and valleys - but I believe with everything in me that things will turn around for you. It may not feel or look or smell like it now - but it will turn around.
I have added you to my prayer list - Keep on posting - journaling - using this forum, you will find a comradery here eventually - don't give up!
Rose

Old 04-30-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dominique, welcome to the group! I'm glad you found us. I'm so sorry to read about the big double-whammy you're dealing with. My heart goes out. The two women I know who opted for double mastectomies are both doing well, 7 & 5 years out. I know the post-surgical treatments can be grueling, and I hope this phase passes quickly for you.

My lupus problems overlap with yours in some areas: photosensitivity, bodily rashes, and migraines---and I had decades of intestinal problems (urinary, too). I wear hats with brims, long sleeves & slacks; sunblock on exposed skin; and I minimize outdoor time in midday sun.

I wish I had more to offer. People here are great listeners; so even if you don't find a "perfect twin" among us, I think you should keep posting... and we'll keep you company. Bye for now, with my best wishes, sincerely, Vee

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
(female)

survivorsarah HB User

Dominique..I also had adrymacin anc cytoxin but it was 2 weeks apart. I just finished my 4th round of taxol making me officially/done with chemo. I had both breasts off in feb and have gone through the reconstruction phase. But I can't get my implants until february of 2011 bc I am going to get 33 radiation treatments. Its been a ****** year to say the least, but the worst is over. I hear radiation is a breeze. My breast cancer was mostly stage 0 except for the tumor site..that was a stage 1..all my nodes they tested were negative and I am er/pr + and her2neu -.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
(female)

pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User

Hello Dominique........Hi hon, just wanted to tell you that you do belong here. You have lupus and that is something we all share here. Please come on and chat with us anytime. hugs

Closed Thread