It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Extremely confused about test results More than one pattern? What the??

I had a positive abnormal ANA direct at lab corp with the RNP 7.3, test didn't show the pattern. Scleroderma antigens not tested. Rechecked it a month after treatment (Mobic, antimalarial) at a different lab corp, still had a positive abnormal ANA direct but the RNP was 3.4 (normal 0.0-0.9).

Picked up the results from my drs office today they did this in between this other testing. Their lab is also lab corp. It shows this (this is were I'm severely confused), Test: Antinuclear Antibodies, IFA:

Homogeneous Pattern 1:640 H
Nucleolar Pattern 1:640 H

Where RNP is associated with speckled pattern, does that mean if they had tested my RNP, it would be negative on this testing? Can you have the antigen without the specific pattern for it? I found this info: In some cases, more than one autoimmune disease (overlap syndromes) may be present, which causes more than one ANA pattern to be present in a sample. But I cannot understand why I don't have a positive speckled pattern.

Last edited by neveragain444; 06-25-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Extremely confused about test results More than one pattern? What the??

I had a talk with a rhematolgist about these test results (he's not the Rhemy I am seeing in October, but it never hurts seeing what other drs think), but he said that from where I'm sick and my test results, he would treat me for a connective tissue disease, where the RNP is positive, that I very likely have it, but he said the RNP isn't specific for which disease I have, like Lupus or MCTD, but they are basically treated the same way.

I also asked him if you can have a connective tissue disease with a normal ESR and RF. And he said most certainly yes. Since my dr's PA said you cannot, I had to ask that one.

My tummy/ulcer problems are finally starting to get better. I bought some Zantac (good stuff) so I should get to go back on treatment soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Neveragain, this is very interesting to me. I have UCTD, never could get bloodwork positive for anything specific. CTD is a frustrating disease, until I finally gave in and decided it was best to get pain relief and be happy I didn't have anything worse. My rheumy is always checking though. Thanks for the info.

Glojer

Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well part of this frustrating process for me is that pain relief doesn't matter. I can take anything for Fibromyalgia and don't feel better because I have exhausting fatigue and the only thing that phased that was Mobic (anti-inflammatory). Takes em 13 yrs to give me a medication that helps both, I would have been more than happy with a treatment that works before I lost 13 yrs of my life confined to my house & bed. I was never so lucky. And when I finally did get it, they take it back after a mth.

What I find interesting is how docs can't be 100% sure you have an AI disease. Even thyroid disease can be taken back. How many people with Lupus are dx'd and then told later on they don't have it after a round of good blood work. I think drs are just a little goofy, if they are giving you meds to treat it and make it better, then geez, meds are working, so just shut the hell up. <lol>

I don't care what I have, as long as I get the medicines to help me feel okay, that is all that matters.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Neveragain, I agree with you. The fatigue is what is doing me in. Yes I have a lot of pain. I started on plaquenil and then added methotrexate. My liver didn't like the MTX and I had a false eye reaction to the plaquinil. So doc started me on prednisone. It worked for a while, problem is I've built up a tolerance. Have an appt. in another week to see if PCP can do anything about the fatigue. All rheumy did was test my blood work again and of course it was fine. That was it, didn't offer any other solutions. I think he is slowing down to retire. I may want to find someone new.

Thank you for the laugh and laugh I did, with the goofy docs and geez shut the hell up. Very funny.

Glojer

Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think if you want something, you just have to ask, because your dr isn't the one that is suffering, and they don't get it like you wish they did. When my dr took my Mobic from me (ulcer reasons) and sent me home with absolutely nothing, and I just saw his PA a mth before, crying my eyes out, telling them I'd rather die than live that way and I couldn't take it anymore, I was just dumbfounded.

Maybe your tolerance to the prednisone is your reason for still flaring with fatigue/pain. Maybe you need that one increased or to try something different or something else with it.

LOL your welcome !

Old 07-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had my ANA checked again, my RNP is raising without medication, it's up to 3.9 as of right now. I feel horrible as usual but I can stay up during the day, it's evening that is getting me down so bad, yesterday I was asleep by 5:30. I get my Mobic back next week, so I will test it one more time in a month and if my RNP lowers again on treatment, my doctor won't be able to argue with me that I have Fibromyalgia instead of an autoimmune disease anymore. That's awful though I have to prove I have an AI disease because my drs overlook my ANA results, even though they are high.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Neveragain, you can have both fibro and an AI. I do, they can be overlap diseases. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference which is worse or which is kicking in and flaring up. This has made me curious as to what my ANA counts said, I think I will look them up.

Glojer

Old 07-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

My fibromyalgia was a guess diagnosis because my PCP didn't know what else could be wrong with me. He told me this himself. That is why I have never been able to accept the diagnosis as to why I am so sick. When I saw a rhematologist back in 02, he did the pinpoint test and told me under no circumstances did I have Fibro, he said it was mild lupus, and that the disease would manifest itself in my blood work later on. Well, I still have the Fibro diagnosis. I think it is MCTD as it does not affect your kidneys, but can with your lungs and heart. I do have some scarring on one of my lungs, and most of my family is affected by heart issues. I am not, but I get these PVC's, and something really weird happened the other night, I layed down and had my hand on my neck, and felt my heart would completely stop there, it was pounding because my leg went to jerking from it, but then I'd feel the beat pound hard at my heart everytime it skipped, only when it skipped, it was so weird. I've never had my PVC's do that before. Then my pulse went to racing and I got so short of breath, I had to sit up. My dr said those PVC's aren't anything to worry about but that was strange.

I have heard you can have Fibromyalgia and arthritis both. It can't be an overlapping disease however because it is not an autoimmune disease. But I really don't get how that is, because Fibro is supposed to only be diagnosed, when nothing else shows up wrong. So how do doctors give a diagnose of both fibro and arthritis at the same time???? Just curious about that one.

A neurologist also dx'd me as having myofacial pain syndrome, and he didn't know I had the dx of Fibromyalgia. You really think they have a clue what they are talking about, as to what is wrong with me. They don't.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
(female)

teeha HB Userteeha HB User

HI Neveragain and Glojer,

I am still rather new to all this and investigating my blood tests results that I do have. I was diagnoised with TLE rare form of DLE, also fibromylgia, hypothyroidism, IBS..but getting this further checked cause the Dx who told me I had IBS never ran tests...Also OA Degenerative disk disease, and now I also have a low output opf criettien(SP) levels. What has helped me with the fibro a whole lot is Cymbalta. YEs this is originally a depression med but they have found it to be highly effective for fibro pain and fatigue. I also take Mobic, now they issue is it can cause a rare syndrome forgot the name but is causes bleeding and bruising. So far I have not shown those side effects.

Teeha

Old 07-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, IBS is kind of based upon the fact of the symptoms you have, I think alternating issues with diarrhea and constipation, pain, and the doctor not finding anything else as the cause after doing a colonoscopy. I used cymbalta in the past, it never helped, but glad it's helping you. That's great. I am back on Mobic finally. I know it can cause serious issues with your gastrointestinal tract. Also rarely can increase the risk of blood clots (increasing risk of heart attack/stroke). All NSAID's probably cause such risks. It's one I'm willing to take. I really can't stand living without that medication.

Closed Thread