It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

darkwater HB User
Strange lupus acne

I have had some mild to moderate acne on and off all of my adult life, but since learning I have lupus, I notice that I am getting a different kind of acne than in previous years. The only way I can describe what is in the pimple is a crumb of some kind. Literally a little crunchy thing. Weird!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Strange lupus acne

Darkwater, when you were dx'ed with lupus, did you start taking any meds, like Plaquenil or Prednisone?

I think some small percent of people get skin reactions from Plaquenil, is why I'm asking---then must stop taking it, I think. Steroids can also cause acne.

Have you discussed your skin problem with your dr.? Let us know how it's going. Good luck! from Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

teeha HB Userteeha HB User

I still get some Acne also,at times the seed comes out which is crunchy. not sure if that is what you might be getting.... the seed. Hard to believe 47 with acne lol ya well young at heart I guess. wish my body would follow

Teeha

Old 07-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Since Dx, I TROWEL ON (as my husband jokingly says) a lot more makeup than before: moisturizer with SPF 32, then thick cream foundation w/SPF 20. Takes more time to remove all this at night, when (per hubby), I have to CHISEL IT OFF. Also, it took a few tries to find new products that didn't irritate my skin & cleansers to thoroughly remove all this new stuff. For what it's worth, Vee [My hubby has a quite way with words, yes? ]

Last edited by VeeJ; 07-06-2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: typo

Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

My husband calls it "debeautification" when I take off all the makeup and sunscreen at night! I like the image of chiseling it off. I'll have to tell that to my husband. I have to use a toner to get all remaining traces off my face. I am nearly 51 with Lupus and I am breaking out as well, maybe due to stress and hormones. I have gone through many different types of breakouts, and my worst ever was with DHEA that made me look like I had the chicken pox!

I have seen wounds become infected that can cause a crustiness called impetigo. I've seen it mainly in children, but it can occur with adults. I also used to suffer from eczema, contact dermatitis, and seborrheic dermatitis at various times. Also with the medications and age, my skin has become more thin and easier to damage and I get a kind of crusty skin layer with that. I have to remember to treat my skin a bit more gently.

Hope this helps,
Best Regards,
Nan

Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
(female)

Rusnakes HB User

Hi there, darkwater. I know it's been a long time since you posted this (7 years!), but I have exactly the same issue. I'd be interested to hear if you found any remediation for this issue!

Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
I have had some mild to moderate acne on and off all of my adult life, but since learning I have lupus, I notice that I am getting a different kind of acne than in previous years. The only way I can describe what is in the pimple is a crumb of some kind. Literally a little crunchy thing. Weird!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
(female)

darkwater HB User

Hey, it has only been less than a year since I posted. Nope, no remedy. Although it has lessened. Maybe because my lupus is under control now and my skin is not reacting as much? I certainly stay out of the sun. I even had them remove the flourescent light bulbs directly above my desk at work. You just never can tell what kind of exposure will trigger something, and I spend at least 6 hours a day sitting right below this light.

I do get a few strange pimples on my face a few times a year, pimples that dont heal like normal pimples, but stay for weeks and leave a dark scar even though I didn't touch it. I attribute those to lupus, since I didn't get them before.

I have been thinking that it might benefit me to get an evaluation by a dermatologist for all the various skin growths that have appeared on my body since I got lupus, and there are lots! They continue to multiply pretty rapidly and it would put my mind at rest to just have someone check them. Hmmmm....

Stay well, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusnakes View Post
Hi there, darkwater. I know it's been a long time since you posted this (7 years!), but I have exactly the same issue. I'd be interested to hear if you found any remediation for this issue!

Emily

Old 04-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
(female)

Rusnakes HB User

LOL. I think I might have notice your "member since X" date!

I have flare ups that are fairly persistent (quite honestly)...I have moments where mysteriously everything will clear up. Strange!

The fluorescent lights idea is a good one though! I should consider that one...

Thanks for the thoughts!! Be well--

Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
Hey, it has only been less than a year since I posted. Nope, no remedy. Although it has lessened. Maybe because my lupus is under control now and my skin is not reacting as much? I certainly stay out of the sun. I even had them remove the flourescent light bulbs directly above my desk at work. You just never can tell what kind of exposure will trigger something, and I spend at least 6 hours a day sitting right below this light.

I do get a few strange pimples on my face a few times a year, pimples that dont heal like normal pimples, but stay for weeks and leave a dark scar even though I didn't touch it. I attribute those to lupus, since I didn't get them before.

I have been thinking that it might benefit me to get an evaluation by a dermatologist for all the various skin growths that have appeared on my body since I got lupus, and there are lots! They continue to multiply pretty rapidly and it would put my mind at rest to just have someone check them. Hmmmm....

Stay well, my friend!

Closed Thread