It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

Lilqtpie HB User
Question Freaking out- positive Ana, positive double stranded dna

If there is anyone out there that can offer and info to me, I would be grateful. I have been feeling sick for about 4 years now; mostly fatigue, joint pain & stiffness, had a low grade fever in the evening for about 2 years (that has gotten better), been losing hair in clumps for about 2 years, some dizziness, now with new dr., I Waas found to have a positive Ana 1:160, and a positive double stranded dna (I think 20). I am waiting to get into a rhumatologist, but I'm going crazy wondering what the addition of these new blood tests mean. Does anyone know...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
(female)

Lilqtpie HB User
Re: Freaking out- positive Ana, positive double stranded dna

Forgot to mention that my pattern is homogeneous

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Lilqtpie, hello & welcome. There are "sticky posts" = permanent info posts at the top of the thread list. One lists criteria for SLE. Generally you must meet 4 of the 11 over time, meaning not necessarily simultaneously. My understanding is that ANA is "general" (because it's seen in multiple conditions), but that two *more specific* autoantibodies, anti-ds-DNA and anti-Sm, are considered pretty specific to SLE. But whether you have lupus is only for a doctor, like a rheumatologist, to determine.

But the main thing right now is NOT to freak out, at least not too wildly! Because even if it does turn out that you have lupus, know that it can remain on the milder side, with proper treatment and ongoing followups. The dividing line is basically whether major organs are involved, so the key is finding a knowledgable doctor and sticking with him/her. I hope you don't have it. But if it turns out that you do, know that your life could now take a turn for the better. I hope your rheumatology appointment goes well & that you post more when you have time. You'll always find people here with whom you can talk. Best wishes to you, sincerely, Vee (dx'ed 10 years ago & doing much better since getting help)

Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
(female)

Lilqtpie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Lilqtpie, hello & welcome. There are "sticky posts" = permanent info posts at the top of the thread list. One lists criteria for SLE. Generally you must meet 4 of the 11 over time, meaning not necessarily simultaneously. My understanding is that ANA is "general" (because it's seen in multiple conditions), but that two *more specific* autoantibodies, anti-ds-DNA and anti-Sm, are considered pretty specific to SLE. But whether you have lupus is only for a doctor, like a rheumatologist, to determine.

But the main thing right now is NOT to freak out, at least not too wildly! Because even if it does turn out that you have lupus, know that it can remain on the milder side, with proper treatment and ongoing followups. The dividing line is basically whether major organs are involved, so the key is finding a knowledgable doctor and sticking with him/her. I hope you don't have it. But if it turns out that you do, know that your life could now take a turn for the better. I hope your rheumatology appointment goes well & that you post more when you have time. You'll always find people here with whom you can talk. Best wishes to you, sincerely, Vee (dx'ed 10 years ago & doing much better since getting help)

Old 08-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
(female)

Lilqtpie HB User

I saw the Dr. and he says I do have lupus. He started me on a anti-malaria drug. I have to take that twice a day. He also took more blood and said he wanted to rerun the blood work the previous reg. Dr. ordered so that he could test it in a more specialized way. I'm still waiting for those results. I've been having trouble staying asleep since starting this medication. Which, of course, is just adding to my daytime fatigue. I hope to hear my new results soon; this Friday will be 2 weeks- but I know he said it takes a few weeks (up to 3, I think). I've also been more dizzy. Ugh.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
(female)

watoozie HB User

I was diagnosed about 5 yrs ago, was in really bad condition, but with Plaquenil twice daily, I've done quite well. I have had a few flares, but got through them without too much trouble. The Plaquenil was a God send for me. It took about 4 months to really feel the benefits of it. Hope it works for you as well. Take care and hang in there!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

Lilqtpie HB User

Thanks for your reply. All specialized tests came back with the same result; lupus, specifically to the double stranded DNA test. Still waiting for the malaria drug to work. Although I did realize that the latest I can take that is with supper, otherwise I end up having trouble sleeping. Anyone else out there newly diagnosed, or positive to the DS DNA test?

Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. Plaquenil builds up slowly & thus can take 3-4 months or more to reach its full effect. When I first started it, I heated up like fire within an hour of taking each dose (breakfast & dinner); also I was nauseous and blurry-eyed at night for a few weeks. But after those few weeks of adjustment, it got easier. Best of all, my various symptoms started to abate pretty quickly.

I'm an anti-Ro, diagnosed over 10 years ago. I haven't had acute episodes or any hospitalizations since starting Plaquenil. Wishing same or better for you! Best wishes, Vee

Closed Thread