It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
skin redness that looks like a sunburn but isn't

can tissue/muscle inflammation cause your skin to look red like a sunburn? i've had redness on my chest for years but it wasn't something that has always been there. nurse said today it looks like you've been out in the sun, but I haven't, except for driving to my dr appt. I hate the sun, it makes me sick getting out in it so I don't which really should be obvious to the eye as light complected as I am. I also noticed extra redness on my arms and face today. it's normally red anyways in areas but was much more noticable today (darker). I have had past comments too from nurses but this isn't a sunburn. It also isn't an allergy or skin disorder like eczema or psoriasis, however am having inflammatory and peeling issues all over my hands, but not elsewhere. any ideas?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
(female)

msmaggie HB User
Re: skin redness that looks like a sunburn but isn't

I am going through the same thing! I have recently been diagnosed with lupus and was prescribed plaquenil. I've taken it regularly but unfortunately ran out and being the procrastinator that I am have not refilled yet. Well recently I've noticed a rash on my left side of my bottom. It's gotten worse over the last few days and itches really bad! It's also red and scaly. I am at my wits end! Has this happened to anyone else with lupus or taking the meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
(female)

leonap HB User

I get this red rash on my chest also.usually it will proceed a flareup,which usually is brought on by stress.The rash does not itch.It starts just below the bra line,creeps up through the cleavage area,does not go on my breasts,but creeps around the upper chest and goes directly around my kneck.I feel extremely horrible when this happens.My hips will feel like i cant even walk and my whole body aches so bad I feel like I have a flu bug multiplied by like 3 0r 4.Th rash doesnt itch ,it is not raised.It actually looks like a measels or rubella rash.It will last about a day or two,then for a couple more days the area will look like It has been sunburned.The rash will also blanche when pressed (leave a white finger print before turning back red).Tehn it will be gone.Trying to explain it to a doctor is something else.They look at me crossed or confused.has anyone els experienced that type of rash also.I do have fibro,have not been diagnosed with lupus just yet although i did have anti-nuclear antibldies present in my blood years back.Which I dont even know what that means.But I suspect i might have amild case of Lupus.I have sooo many of the symptoms.Wishing you all wellness,happiness,joy and health.have a beautiful day! :0)

Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, all. I was told there are something like 15 lupus-specific rashes, give or take. Have you heard of "tumid lupus"? I think it favors the v-neck area. But I'm only a patient... Only a dermatologist or rheumatologist would be qualified to say! Good luck & best wishes to all, Vee

P.S. I had one of the lesser known rashes, and BOY OH BOY did that frustrate getting answers, because my local dermies clearly had never seen the one I had. Luckily, the metro-area drs. I tried next recognized it & ordered confirming tests PDQ (biopsy + immunfluorescent stain tests).

My rash was SCLE annular (targetlike) form. Didn't scar or depigment. But there's another form called SCLE psoriasiform, which resembles psoriasis (but isn't). With both types, anti-Ro is often found in bloodwork.

I think others here have discussed TUMID LUPUS. You could try searching the threads here to find past discussions.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonap View Post
I get this red rash on my chest also.usually it will proceed a flareup,which usually is brought on by stress.The rash does not itch.It starts just below the bra line,creeps up through the cleavage area,does not go on my breasts,but creeps around the upper chest and goes directly around my kneck.I feel extremely horrible when this happens.My hips will feel like i cant even walk and my whole body aches so bad I feel like I have a flu bug multiplied by like 3 0r 4.Th rash doesnt itch ,it is not raised.It actually looks like a measels or rubella rash.It will last about a day or two,then for a couple more days the area will look like It has been sunburned.The rash will also blanche when pressed (leave a white finger print before turning back red).Tehn it will be gone.Trying to explain it to a doctor is something else.They look at me crossed or confused.has anyone els experienced that type of rash also.I do have fibro,have not been diagnosed with lupus just yet although i did have anti-nuclear antibldies present in my blood years back.Which I dont even know what that means.But I suspect i might have amild case of Lupus.I have sooo many of the symptoms.Wishing you all wellness,happiness,joy and health.have a beautiful day! :0)
If you was positive for anti-nuclear antibodies, could mean you have an autoimmune disease present like Lupus. I think rhematologists base it on how high it is, with Lupus, they look for 1:640 titers. Do you know what yours was? I had 1:360 for years before it got higher and showed I had high RNP, make your doctor keep up with that testing, I went about 8 years without the testing and maybe I couldv'e gotten help sooner if I hadn't of. It's hard for doctors to determine if nothing else is showing up. But they can treat it and see if it makes a difference in how you feel regardless. That's the tell all in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

leonap HB User

Yes-I know.And that is the part that is sometimes so awful,the not knowing.Alot of the autoimmune illnesses play games in a sense.Sometimes someone has to be in a bad flare to taest positive.Alot of us fall in between the cracks,or go on for years before we finally test positive.Sometimes doctors test people once or twice and say everything is good and the victim of illness suffers in silence.We know our bodies I feel.We know when something is wrong.We as patients have to be persistent with testings and results.I'm hoping one day I can get some resolution to this mystery illness.Have abeautiful weekend! :0)

Closed Thread