It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

melliann HB User
Help Needed

I have a very strong family history of Lupus, a couple of years ago when I was losing my hair I had an ANA done and it came back very positive. About 6-7 months ago I did have the butterfly rash but with all of my son's medical problems I just didn't have time for myself. I finally made a follow up with the rheumatologist because I am super stiff in the morning and I twisted my ankle over 8 weeks ago and the joint still hurts. So she gave me a medication for the morning stiffness, took it last night like I was told to. My husband had thought that it was because I just sit around all day, well my son had 2 major urology tests and a follow up with the urologist so I just wasn't sitting around all day today I was up and about all day. Right now I am sitting with a killer headache all my joints hurt and I was so wrapped up in things I need to get together for my son to get into the pediatric neurology department at the Mayo that I wasn't really paying that much attention for my appointment. So does someone out there know how long a anti-SM and anti-dsDNA take? I swear she ordered them but I don't know. Cause I just got a message from her today telling me everything was normal but I didn't see those 2 tests on there. Today has just been a bad day. I also forgot I do have the extreme cold spells, it could be 80 degrees outside and I'm freezing.

Last edited by melliann; 08-12-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Help Needed

Melliann, hi. I don't know how long anti-dsDNA & Sm take (sorry).

I want to describe a few pitfalls I encountered. First, there are actually quite a few auto-antibodies seen in lupus. Anti-ds-DNA and anti-Sm are in the criteria because they're both considered highly "specific" to lupus---yet there are others possible. You get a copy of your results from your dr., to see how wide a net was cast. (I turned out to have Ro-lupus. Silly me!)

I believe ANA & some of the specific antibodies wax/wane as flares build/recede, so timing of tests can be important. But a good dr. will retest if your symptoms persist.

I had killer headaches for years, show-stoppers that required Bellergal or Fiornal. But some people with lupus also have APS, a blood clotting disorder that can cause headaches, strokes, miscrriages, etc. So I hope your dr. also tested you for APS.

Have you noticed the sticky posts (permanent info posts) at the top of the thread list? Contain good starter info.

Are you also using a Mayo dr.? I'm pooped w/headache, so I'll say bye for now. Hope you post more soon. All best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
(female)

melliann HB User

Yeah I am going to the Mayo but I am going there for my complex and complicated special needs son. We are going for a 3rd opinion for urology problems and then going there for a neurology consult because he is having issues. Like I said he is a complex kid.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. Maybe the 2 tests you're not seeing are embedded in some broader test? Either way, you could request a copy (always good to keep your own files, esp. when you're still seeking a Dx).

GOOD LUCK with your son's problems and your own. I'm sorry you have a full plate & hope you can make progress on all fronts! With my best, Vee

Closed Thread