It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
(female)

tammyp HB User
What does lupus joint pain feel like?

Hi,
A few months ago I started getting pain in every joint in my body (even the joints in my fingers). This lasted for 3 weeks. My joints were not inflammed. The pain didn't seem to be in the cartilage/bone etc...it seemed to be in the nerves of the joints. As if someone was poking a needle into my joints and irritating the nerves. My wrist felt as though it had been snapped and my feet as though they had been crushed. The pain was the same on both sides of my body. Is this what lupus joint pain feels like?

Also soon after that pain stopped I started getting pain in my legs. I have been having this pain for 3 months now. It is a pulsating migrating ache between my ankles and thighs, with sharp pains in my calves. My muscles feel tight. This pain has its bad and good times but is always there. It sometimes moves over my stomach area. Is this typical lupus pain?

I'm being tested, but I just want to know what lupus pain actually feels like from someone who has it.

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: What does lupus joint pain feel like?

Tammy, it certainly sounds similar to what I experience in my hips, legs and feet and hands. Are you on pain meds? I use Epsom Salts and Baking soda soaks in the tub to help when it gets really bad and the pain meds don't take the edge off. I also use a topical analgesic called Biofreeze (you can find online) and that does help some with the discomfort. I also use heat and a pillow between the legs when sleeping keeps the pressure of weight of one leg off the other and I elevate them on another pillow. I know that the pain I have is debilitating, I can hardly walk on bad days and getting up and down is extremely painful. I think you will hear from others with these kinds of pain. I also just started taking CQ-10 at my PCP's suggestion, supposed to help with muscle pain. Hope that reassures you that there are others out there with this issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
(female)

tammyp HB User

Thanks for your reply. I'm really hoping my pain is not due to lupus. Is your pain actually coming from your muscle/cartilage, or does it feel like the nerves? Do you have any inflammation?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

It is from the muscles and joints in my case. There is no inflammation other than I feel heat in a couple of my finger joints. I am negative for RA and nerve conduction tests were negative. I do however also have Fibromyalgia which is the case in 25% of Lupus patients. There is an article at the top of this board that deals with lab studies (sticky posts) that has a link for hhs that has a wonderful article on the incidence of Lupus and Fibromyalgia coexistence in patients that you may find useful.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
(female)

Gerty HB User

Ive had lupus for 20 years Rather then saying yes or no because its diff for everybody Ill tell you how it started for me. At first it felt like I was getting the flu or a bug or something you know that unwell feeling gen body aches and pains feeling tired and dragging myself around. Then I notciced I started to get pains in my joints and later muscles I had pain from head to toe. I had no inflamation no join swelling just pain on top of pain I was diagnosed about 5 years later with Lupus S.L.E and Fibromyalgia. I hope this helps not everybody gets inflamation or swelling

Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
(female)

inap HB User

Its different for everybod. It felt like I was getting the flu feelling when your whole body aches and pains. I felt tired. I got pains in my joints and later muscles I had pain from head to toe. I had no inflamation no join swelling just pain. Its not always in the same spot. The pain seems to move around, one day its my hips, the next its my fingers and toes. Hope you feel better soon

Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. My joint feels like hot lead has been injected; sometimes they swell(elbows do, the rest don't). Bottom of feet sometimes feel like someone has pounded nails into them. I also have burning pain along the long bones of shins & arms. Bye, Vee

Closed Thread