It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

pixie1985 HB User
Red, itching swollen eyelids and Lupus?

Has anyone else with Lupus experienced rash on eyelids associated with Lupus. Went to see PCP today thinking I am allergic to a rescue cat that found me. To make a long story short...after 10 days of Claritin and Benadryl I was told the rash is a Lupus that can appear on the eyelids. If so..how were you treated. He wants to restart the Prednisone. Not wanting to do that again. I thought the Plaquenil was supposed to take care of the rashes. Thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Red, itching swollen eyelids and Lupus?

The uses of plaquenil and prednisone are for two completely different reasons in the treatment of lupus. Prednisone is an extremely effective drug and may be necessary to control your lupus. It usually relieves most symptoms promptly. Plaquenil does have an anti-inflammatory effect but probably is more of a slow acting drug.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Pixie, have you seen your eye doctor? Is your rash literally on your eyelids, or along your eyelashes? Do you have rashes anywhere else?

I used to get conjunctivitis often: crazy itchy red eyes & crustiness along the lashes. One mistake my eye dr. warned me about: with sensitive eyes, I have to avoid getting anything oily (moisturizer & the like) in my eyes. I now use only oil-free eye makeup remover.

Plaquenil successfully quelled my (very photosensitive) SCLE rashes, but only coupled with strict sun avoidance, plus I wear sunglasses & hats with brims.

Hope you're getting this figured out. Good luck & bye, Vee

Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

Thanks for all the input.
VeeJ, my PCP gave me 2 injections (steriods) which has helped tremendously. After a couple more days of peeling, scaling has subsided. Lids are still very tender. The are also purplish (sp?) in color.
The rash was not on the lash area. Only on the lids and creases. The first thing I thought was conjunctivitis but those symptoms never came. I have had this problem several times in the past 10 years but never to this extent. PCP says it compares to the malar rash that I have occasionally on my face when I get really stressed out.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Pixie, I was just reminded, by a relative that was evaluated for it, that dermatomyositis can cause reddish-purple rashes on various parts of body, including eyelids. (It's sort of a "cousin" to lupus.)

Like you say, I imagine some of the lupus rashes could be to blame. PLUS, anyone with lupus is statistically more likely to get other skin problems. I'm glad you're improving. I'd still ask about sun exposure, if I were you... ANYTHING to discourage a recurrence! Hang tough, Vee

Old 11-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

First thing I thought of was dermatomyositis when you mentioned the purple eyes. My husband has that disease and his eyes turned purple but also very swollen.

Glojer

Closed Thread