It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

tallulah nine HB User
psoriatic nails

i've had problems with my fingernails for the last ten to fifteen years. at the top of the fingertip, where the nail is separated from the bed is not a regular arc. it becomes all jagged, with a band of pink. the nail will pull away even lower and the skin underneath will peel. it's painful. i also have some pitting and deep ridges, but my nails are not nearly as bad as the pictures that you will see when you google images for psoriatic nails, as they do not look crumbly or as deformed.

my rheumatologist informed me today that i do have psoriatic nails, even though i don't have any other psoriasis. i do have family members with psoriasis, but nothing affecting their nails.

does anyone else suffer from this? with or without cutaneous psoriasis? and how is your doctor treating it? my previous rheumatologist had always told me to just wear nail polish all the time, like i was really stupid for even wanting to know why it was like that or if there was any way to treat it.

thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: psoriatic nails

Tallulah, hi. I know one man, middle-aged, who has psoriatic arthritis. But he has little skin involvement, and his fingers and nails are good---it's his ankles that are awful. I think he's taken Methotrexate---but I'm not sure if that is what's even indicated for nail involvement. I think he's said skin & joints are subject to *separate* meds. I'll try to ask when I see him. Sorry this isn't a very meaningful response yet! Best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
(female)

tallulah nine HB User
Re: psoriatic nails

Vee: i appreciate any response. i've felt like such a leper with these ugly nails, not to mention that it might be contributing to the arthritis that i have. i don't do well with methotrexate, but perhaps there is another option.

thanks!

tallulah

Closed Thread