It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

jillian1925 HB User
mesenteric adenitis?

Hello,

My daughter has been having pain. It started about 6 weeks ago, and I took her to the hospital and they ruled out alot of stuff, but never mentioned Mesenteric Adenitis. Someone told me to treat her with Zantac, because they thought it might be an ulcer, but it actually hurt more when she took it, so I took her off of it. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited by moderator2; 11-26-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: to make your post into a new thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: mesenteric adenitis?

Hi can you explain why you use the term mesenteric adenitis? What tests were done? Did she have an ultrasound? What was ruled out and why?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
(female)

jillian1925 HB User

Hello, I used that term because I read about it online and her symptoms match it. When she had her first episode, she had intense pain in her abdomen. I brought her to the hospital and they did a ct scan, x-rays, and ultrasound. They told me they ruled out: blocked intestines; appendicitis; gall bladder problems; and pancreas, and liver problems. Her blood test were normal, except her white count was elevated. They told me to give her Zantac in case she had an ulcer, and to visit a doctor in a few days if the symptoms persisted. We tried the Zantac for two days but the pain was intense with that, so she stopped taking it, and spoke to a friend of mine who is a pediatrician, she advised me to have her take ibuprophen for inflammation. She was the one who mentioned mesenteric adenitis. It really helps, but this has been going on for 6 weeks, and some days she can go through the whole day without taking it, and then has to take it everyday for days on end. I haven't brought her back to the doctor yet, because for a few days, it seems like it's going away, and then it comes back. I just didn't want her to go through unnecessary testing for nothing, but at this point I will, because I need to rule out an ulcer, because I don't want to make it worse by giving her ibuprohen. So, she has pain right under her rib cage down to her belly button, and pain down in the right quadrant of her abdomen, but also on a few random spots that cover her abdomen area. She has eliminated dairy products, chocolate, and greasy foods from her diet, which seems to help. In fact the first episode happened after eating ice cream. Thanks for replying, I am curious about what you have to say.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Jillian, isn't mesenteric adenitis a *passing* flare-up of lymph nodes? Meaning, if it's supposed to self-correct & go away on its own, in anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, hasn't your daughter's problem gone on awfully long? I'm certainly no doctor (to put it mildly!), but of what I've read about it, that's a big thing that doesn't seem to fit...? You should ask her dr. to weigh in.

Have her drs. said what her elevated WBC might mean?

I believe appendicitis is sometimes hard to diagnose. (My cousin, as an adult, had a terrible time getting a Dx.)

I think people with gallbladder problems can react horribly to fatty foods. (My sister's biggest trigger was peanuts. She didn't require surgery but did have to revamp her diet.)

In your shoes, I'd want her to see her doctor again in person. And if that dr. doesn't come up with answers, I would try another. I'm sorry this is happening & hope she and you can get answers and relief soon. Wishing you both GOOD LUCK, Vee

The following user gives a hug of support to VeeJ:
sjb (11-28-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
sjb (11-28-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there! Bacteria feed on sweets. In my opinion a heating pad helps bring blood to the area and might help the white blood cells feed on bacteria. Have a nice day

Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
(female)

jillian1925 HB User

thanks, my daughter does use it and it seems to help. I will continue it.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi you are welcome! I own a nice Thermaphore.

Closed Thread