It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

wonderingwha HB User
are ana titer and antinuclear ab the same thing?

I have an ANA titer of 1:320 Homogenous pattern
antinuclear ab strongly positive 7.3
all of the other cascade tests came back negative

Does the strongly positive ab just support the ana of 1:320 or does that mean something specific?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: are ana titer and antinuclear ab the same thing?

Wondering, I can't tell what your second test is. I've often seen the word "autoantibody" abbreviated as "ab"... But with a number (7.3) shown, I'd expect some specific autoantibody NAME to appear somewhere in that line.

Hmmmmm! Sorry I can't help. Have you discussed these results with the dr. who ordered them? Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

wonderingwha HB User

Thanks Vee - I will clarify

I had a "conective tissue cascade" test run for two things

antinuclear ab 7.3 strongly positive
c citrulline pep ab <15.6 negative

since one came back positive, they ran more tests looking specifically for lupus or ra, etc.

centromere antibodies,igg,blood - all came back negative
dna dbl strand ab,igg,blood - all came back negative
antibody to extract nuclear ag eval blood - came back negative

so I have a titer 1:320
ab 7.3
TSH 5.3
negative for Hashimotos

Elevated esr

Starting to think maybe it is just a strong positive titer with nothing behind it?

Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Wondering, we've all read & been told that ANA can be positive without underlying condition, for such reasons as a passing virus, aging (esp. women), a family tendency, etc. I think 1:320 is considered low-ish. (You should ask.)

But having a positive ESR is an indicator of inflammation, I think.

Some test values rise & fall as symptoms come & go, thus timing of tests can be important. And time passing can make a difference, if symptoms worsen & become more specific to certain conditions(s), and test values also become more meaningful.

Drs. run AB tests for a reason (presumably ). Do you have symptoms? Is your dr. a rheumatologist, a GP, or what? Bye for now, Vee

Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
(female)

wonderingwha HB User

I am seeing a rheumatologist! I have been very achy, my thyroid is up and a few other random things that all don't seem to add up. My ear gets red hot like in relapsing polychondritis but without any pain. My gp sent me to the rheumatologist because of my titer....which is up from a few years ago when it was 1:160.

My c3 complement test came back very high too (205) - marker for inflammation so I am a bit nervous!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Wondering, good morning. I believe in lupus, C3 & C4 may go low, not high. But you could ask your dr. in which rheumatological conditions (if any) C3 elevates.

When your ears are red-hot, are they red? Can you see "bumps" along the bony edges? (The cartilage in my outer ears can inflame. I used to know a term for this, but I forget. Sorry!)

Have you seen the sticky posts with permanent info, at the top of the thread list? The one about reading resources suggests books you could borrow from your library. When I was in limbo, I found sections about tests that were useful, esp. because they discuss lupus AND various "close cousins".

Many of us here know the waiting game: it's frustrating. If answers aren't forthcoming, I hope your rheumatologist and you agree to a game plan. (e.g., you'll come back in X months, you'll book immediately if you feel worse or if new problems crop up, etc.) Let us know what happens next. And post any time the mood strikes, OK? Sending my best wishes to you, Vee

Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Wondering, here's a question you could ask. Aparently there are three (at least) different ANA testing methods: ELISA, Farr, and Crithidia. So, maybe your lab did two different ANA tests, and they were both positive? Anyway, I hope you can get answers from your dr. soon. Warm wishes, Vee

Closed Thread