It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

Franlfdj HB User
Feeling Overwhelmed! "Up-date"

Hello To All, It's been two months since my last post. So here is an up-date. First, in Feb. I continued to feel more fatigued,trouble with keeping my thoughts in order,as well as muscle aches and weakness.To the point of finding it hard to brush my teeth or walking up stairs. By the middle of March I could hardly function. I truly felt like I was being poisoned. So I stopped the Plaquenil. By the second week I felt so much better and third week I felt like I was back to my old self. Then finally I got to see my new rheumatologist on April 18th. She looked over all my old records. I told her about the first Rheumi, how he gave me the dx. of Lupus, and how he found no need to do any other test, just put me on Plaquenil and celibrex and thats it! She spent about 45 min. with me going over everything that could be going on. Also she stated that the rashes that came up two weeks after starting the Plaquenil, along with the weakness and such, was an indicator that my system was not tolerating it well. She then took a slue of blood test (most are in normal range), as well as scheduled an ECHO and PFT. So here are some of the lab results that was out of range; Urine Protein 6=H, SED RATE 64=H, Creatinine-UR 20=H, BUN/CREAT 26=H, CRPHS 110.56=H, lymphocytes 10.3=L (L=18.80 H=50.80), Neutrophils 78.5=H (L=39.90 H=73.0). Now the C-3, C-4, RIBOSOMAL P Protein, SCL-70, SS-A, SS-B,SM (SMITH), NRSP/SM are all neg. or are all in normal range. So now I have to do a 24hr urine test, and wait for the rest of the results to come in.Then my next appt. with her is May 26th and see what our next step is. So any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Feeling Overwhelmed! "Up-date"

Franlfdj, hi. I'm only a patient, but I believe elevation of protein in urine, BUN, and Creatinine suggest MORE tests are needed to evaluate kidney function; the 24-hr. urine test already ordered would be one such test. Do you have results yet?

I think sed rate is an inflammation marker.

CRPHS means high-sensitivity CRP. "Plain vanilla" CRP is a marker for lupus, RA, vasculitis, and maybe more (not totally sure). Kind of werid: I read the "hs" version is less reliable for inflammatory conditions, because inflammation is expected in those, and more useful as a heart marker---you should ask about this!

High neutrohphils apparently are caused by a wide variety of conditions, such as gout, eclampsia, thyroiditis, hemolytic anemia, inflammatory conditions (RA, etc.), kidney malfunction, acute stress or trauma (such as post-heart attack), etc.

When people develop rashes after starting Plaquenil, I've read they MUST switch to other meds as indicated, so that matches what your rheumie told you. (Just curious: how could you tell that it was Plaquenil that caused the rash, not Celebrex?)

No matter what we can read about tests & their meanings, only your dr. can say what the results mean for *YOU*, so I hope you get proper feedback soon from her. Please let us know how you're doing. Meanwhile, sending my best wishes, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 05-01-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: added more & fixed error

Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
(female)

Franlfdj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Franlfdj, hi. I'm only a patient, but I believe elevation of protein in urine, BUN, and Creatinine suggest MORE tests are needed to evaluate kidney function; the 24-hr. urine test already ordered would be one such test. Do you have results yet?

I think sed rate is an inflammation marker.

CRPHS means high-sensitivity CRP. "Plain vanilla" CRP is a marker for lupus, RA, vasculitis, and maybe more (not totally sure). Kind of werid: I read the "hs" version is less reliable for inflammatory conditions, because inflammation is expected in those, and more useful as a heart marker---you should ask about this!

High neutrohphils apparently are caused by a wide variety of conditions, such as gout, eclampsia, thyroiditis, hemolytic anemia, inflammatory conditions (RA, etc.), kidney malfunction, acute stress or trauma (such as post-heart attack), etc.

When people develop rashes after starting Plaquenil, I've read they MUST switch to other meds as indicated, so that matches what your rheumie told you. (Just curious: how could you tell that it was Plaquenil that caused the rash, not Celebrex?)

No matter what we can read about tests & their meanings, only your dr. can say what the results mean for *YOU*, so I hope you get proper feedback soon from her. Please let us know how you're doing. Meanwhile, sending my best wishes, Vee
Hello Vee, I have not done the 24hr-urine test yet (I will do that this week when I'm not working). I wasn't sure if the Plaquenil was what caused the rashes, but I was sure it was what made me feel very sick. I took it every day, twice a day as told by the first rheumie, and only took the Celebrex when my hands hurt so bad that it was hard to work. In the three months that I took it, I felt worse with every passing day,to the point it was exhausting to brush my teeth. I just knew I couldn't take it any more. I didn't feel like that before the Plaquenil. Every fiber of my being was telling me to stop taking it. It took only a few days after stopping the Plaquenil did I feel better. When I told my new rheumie about it and my symptoms is when she stated that the rashes were an indicator.
I was also curious about the CRPHS test. I looked it up and found that it was a marker for future heart attacks. I've never had any heart issues, my Lipid panel has always been great, and I'm not over weight... so I'm in the dark on that one.
I haven't gotten to see my new rheumie again to discuss all my labs yet, but my next appt. with her is May 26th, I will give another up-date then.
Thank you for your thoughts Vee, they are very much appreciated!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Fran, I think the inflammatory conditions alone increase our risk of heart events, ditto with kidney problems.

I'm sorry you're in pain & headed to more tests. But your new dr. seems to be taking you very seriously, so that part at least is good! We'll be thinking of you. All my best, Vee

Closed Thread