It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User
Prednisone?

I've been unwell for the past 6-7 months, mainly with swollen, stiff, sore, red, hot knees and fingers. When they become swollen I can't straighten them. I'm a 21 year old female and I also have Celiac Disease.

I went to my doctor last week and she rung the rheumatologist at the hospital and they discussed my symptoms. They both thought it was some form of 'autoimmune inflammatory arthritis'. I've had a positive ANA and Sed Rate. Negative/normal CRP, CBC, Rheumatoid Factor, anti-CCP and normal x-rays.

The rheumatologist suggested a month course of prednisone. I take 20mg for 1 week, 15mg for 1 week, 10mg for 1 week, 5mg for 1 week. I'm also taking 800mg ibuprofen

So I started them on Friday night
Friday night- amazing, I felt like a new person (95% better than Thursday night)
Saturday- the same as Friday (95% better)
Sunday- Pretty good (90%)
Monday night- swollen knees, hot, red, not sore. No where near as bad as Thursday though (80% better)
Tuesday- swollen knees, red, hot, a little sore (75%)
Wednesday (tonight)- swollen, sore, stiff, can't straighten knees (60%).

So I started off with feeling really amazing, but it seems like these symptoms are slowly creeping back.

Is this normal? Is it that the dose isn't high enough?- I'm not going to up it myself, I will speak to my GP about this on Friday. Does this indicate it's not autoimmune inflammatory arthritis?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
(female)

katytxmom HB User
Re: Prednisone?

hi paperbgprinces :0)

i was on prednisone last october 2010. in a post to leogrrrrl, i told her i was never symptom free while on this course. yes it did help some like it has with you, but i was never 100% symptom free.

my flare started last july and is just wrapping up now. i had similar symptoms to yours and then some. it has been a long process for my body to heal, but it is....... yeah. i still deal with weird flares though, the wind has been non stop for weeks and have felt just yukky. joint and bone pain, major confusion, exhaustion, silent migraines etc. finally the wind stopped today and crazy as it seems, my symptoms, for now, have blown away too. weird huh?

becareful taking the 800mg ibuprofen. it, along with the prednisone can really mess your stomach up as it did with me when i was on this combo last october. ended up with gastritis. ask your GP about whether you should be on a short course of prilosec or some form of acid reducer to protect the lining of you tummy.

bug hugs :0) let us know how you are doing.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
(female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User
Re: Prednisone?

Thank you for your reply.

I went and saw my doctor and she said I was just over doing it and that I needed to rest more. A little difficult when I'm moving cities! I've moved now and I'm living back home with my family. I'm now down to 15mg and I'm not feeling great. I'm getting a bit of swelling and stiffness and pain, but better than on nothing, but not good.

That flare sounds horrible and like it's been going on for a long time! Almost year!

I'm taking Omeprazole for my stomach. I've been taking that 30mins before food and then Prednisone, 800mg ibuprofen and Doxycycline (for my skin) with food. I've been having the odd sore stomach. I've been avoiding acidic foods and fizzy drink.

I'm going to a new GP tomorrow, hopefully one I can see regularly.

Thanks =]

Closed Thread