It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
pauline46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User
Stopping Lyrica

Hello, my name is Pauline. I have lupus. I have been on the drug Lyrica for about a year. In that year I have gained 20 pounds. The extra weight is driving me crazy. I have trouble breathing doing stairs and small tasks. I have tried to lose weight on my own to no avail. I am considering stopping the Lyrica.

I am taking 75mg in the morning and 150 at night. Last two days I stopped 75mg at night. I am hoping that I may be able to drop some weight.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to successfully stop using Lyrica?

I Have noticed I have more body pain but I have been flaring a little because of the sunshine. I know I some pain will return but I am willing to try. I would appreciate some input regarding your experiences with Lyrica.

 
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 201
Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauline46 View Post
Hello, my name is Pauline. I have lupus. I have been on the drug Lyrica for about a year. In that year I have gained 20 pounds. The extra weight is driving me crazy. I have trouble breathing doing stairs and small tasks. I have tried to lose weight on my own to no avail. I am considering stopping the Lyrica.

I am taking 75mg in the morning and 150 at night. Last two days I stopped 75mg at night. I am hoping that I may be able to drop some weight.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to successfully stop using Lyrica?

I Have noticed I have more body pain but I have been flaring a little because of the sunshine. I know I some pain will return but I am willing to try. I would appreciate some input regarding your experiences with Lyrica.
That's curious you have Lupus and they put you on Lyrica which is a drug used for Fibromyalgia.... I was diagnosed with Fibro and put on Lyrica. One of the side effects of this drug is swelling of feet and hands and since I had that to start with...Fibro doesn't come with inflammation....it put me in a position worse than before I started it. I was also on Cymbalta. Within 6 months of starting these drugs I had to stop them. I was way worse taking them. I would think they would put you on something to reduce inflammation. Anyway, yes...I was very successful stopping Lyrica. I gradually stopped it and since I had no positive effects from it I didn't miss it at all and felt better without it. Just my situation though.
sharon

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Member
(female)
 
pauline46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Thanks Sharon, Well the truth is I have fibro as well. I was getting pain all over and restlessness too. The Lyrica helped with that so I could sleep. I can't take anti inflammatories as I have a bad stomach and it makes it much worse. So I use Tramacet and the Lyrica for pain and sleep.

 
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 201
Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauline46 View Post
Thanks Sharon, Well the truth is I have fibro as well. I was getting pain all over and restlessness too. The Lyrica helped with that so I could sleep. I can't take anti inflammatories as I have a bad stomach and it makes it much worse. So I use Tramacet and the Lyrica for pain and sleep.
Hi Pauline46. Sorry to hear about your stomach troubles. My GP just gave me something for stomach problems. It's the generic for Prilosec. I was on it years ago for GERD and now I'm taking it to protect my stomach from my Hydocodone and Prednisone. To be honest, I don't know how much it's helping. I have bowel issues too but mostly from bad nerves I think. I'm going down the pipes I think LOL!! Anyway, have you talked to your doctor about something to protect your stomach? Maybe that would help.
sharon

 
Old 06-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Member
(female)
 
pauline46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrobugsme View Post
Hi Pauline46. Sorry to hear about your stomach troubles. My GP just gave me something for stomach problems. It's the generic for Prilosec. I was on it years ago for GERD and now I'm taking it to protect my stomach from my Hydocodone and Prednisone. To be honest, I don't know how much it's helping. I have bowel issues too but mostly from bad nerves I think. I'm going down the pipes I think LOL!! Anyway, have you talked to your doctor about something to protect your stomach? Maybe that would help.
sharon
Oh yes Sharon I am on stomach meds 2x a day. Have been for a few years. I just can't take the anti inflammatory.


Anyway, I am mostly concerned about the weight gain and the struggle to lose the weight. I do have a nutrition plan I follow. I will have to go down to less calories I guess but if Lyrica is the problem I will try to get off it.

 
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,907
VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Pauline, just curious: have you had your thyroid values checked recently? My sister had breathing problems, weight gain, etc. and was finally dx'ed as hypothyroid. In contrast, with only lupus, I'm usually underweight. Some people get both...

And some lupus meds are known culprits for weight gain, steroids, for example. I hope you can achieve some improvement. Sending best wishes, Vee

 
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Member
(female)
 
pauline46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Hi Vee, I have been checked for thyroid in the past year I think. I was fine. I am at menopausal age too. I get so tired of going to the doctor with all my issues to have nothing resolved. I must say I am discouraged today because of my visit with the urologist yesterday. I see my GP next week to discuss how I am doing on my new dosing of Anti depressants. The worst part is it is easy to lose hope and not be motivated. Losing Motivation causes me to want to give up, but giving up just makes it worse. So I allow myself a day or two of self pity and get back on track. LOL

 
Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,907
VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Pauline, Lyrica's possble side effects (I just checked them) are really interesting: on the list I just read, breathing problems and rapid weight gain are both cited... I hope you get your concerns addressed fully during your next appt., so you can make an informed decision. Hang in there! Vee

 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Member
(female)
 
pauline46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Thanks Vee, I will be seeing him next Tuesday. I will definitely be talking about this. Thanks for all the support, you guys are great.

 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 201
Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Pauline, Lyrica's possble side effects (I just checked them) are really interesting: on the list I just read, breathing problems and rapid weight gain are both cited... I hope you get your concerns addressed fully during your next appt., so you can make an informed decision. Hang in there! Vee
Veej, another thing about Lyrica it can make your hands and feet swell so it you already have inflammation problems that just ads to it. Since inflammation isn't a Fibro thing doctor's don't consider possible inflammation when giving this drug to their Fibro patients. It became a HUGE problem for me.
sharon

 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 201
Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauline46 View Post
Thanks Vee, I will be seeing him next Tuesday. I will definitely be talking about this. Thanks for all the support, you guys are great.
Pauline, do you see the doctor on Tuesday the 28th? That's when I see mine. Don't know how he'll react to the numbers on my last blood work. I got copies of my labs at the hospital this mornig. My SED rate is up 5 points from last time and my CRP is up 4 points but everything else seems in order. It clearly shows I'm not having too many issues right now. If that's the case why do I still feel so bad? Maybe it's the a/c that I can't seem to adjust and I'm cold and achy from that?? And the summer dampness too. No idea. Have a good visit with your doctor and let us know how it goes ok?
Take care,
sharon

 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
Member
(female)
 
pauline46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 60
pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Hi Sharon, Yes that is the day I see my doctor.

You know when it comes to Lupus it seems there is no set rules. I have times when my tests look great but I still have lots of symptoms. I go see the doctor and after many tests they don't have any answers for me. I just try to get treatment for individual symptoms rather than say everything is lupus. But in the end many times it is .........

 
Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 201
Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: Stopping Lyrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauline46 View Post
Hi Sharon, Yes that is the day I see my doctor.

You know when it comes to Lupus it seems there is no set rules. I have times when my tests look great but I still have lots of symptoms. I go see the doctor and after many tests they don't have any answers for me. I just try to get treatment for individual symptoms rather than say everything is lupus. But in the end many times it is .........
That's probably the best way to approach at this stage. My doctor said from my symptoms it could be a few things and he's treating me as he would for any of the 3 things he's considering. He said he would start out with Prednisone and Plaquenil in these situations and we'll see how I respond. I have responded well. You're right. There are no real rules. I guess if we were lucky enough to test positive to the essential tests it would be easy and we would be getting proper treatment but we're special. We'll both have a story to tell on Tuesday. Hang in there kiddo!! We'll get there!!
Take care,
sharon

 
The following user gives a hug of support to Fibrobugsme:
pauline46 (06-24-2011)
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Anyone taking Lyrica? Adita78 Lupus 4 08-05-2010 11:12 AM
High hopes for new dr.! Yay! maybe lol suki3 Lupus 1 07-24-2009 07:02 AM
New here...and so fed up Smashing Lupus 4 04-06-2009 09:47 PM
Does anyone have these symptoms? Lizzy73 Lupus 13 10-20-2008 07:16 AM
ANA positive at 1:320 - insignificant? lynn41 Lupus 6 04-22-2008 12:11 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



VeeJ (172), ladybud (43), AngelicBrat (16), luca689 (7), ksp (6), neveragain444 (6), luvinmusiq (5), Daisygrace (4), brooklyngirl (4), paperbgprinces (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!