It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

nerak64 HB User
ANA blood tes

Yesterday my DR finally ordered an ANA test. Cause I do believe I have an autoimmune disease. What exactly will this test show the DR? I also had a CBC blood test. Not sure what that will show either. I have psoriasis very badly. So do you think I will have a positive ANA blood test then? But I have a feeling its more then psoriasis. Cause I am on shots for the psoriasis. And still have rash on legs and feet and it gets so bad with heat and sun. Thank you Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: ANA blood tes

Karen, hi. ANA is only a "general" test. It's often (not always) positive in various rheumatological conditions: lupus (SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), polymyositis, dermatomyositis, Raynaud's phenomenon, vasculitis, scleroderma, mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD), and undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD).

It can be positive in these skin diseases: psoriasis, pemphigus, and vitiligo.

There are many other conditions that can cause a positive ANA, in endocrinology, neurology, gastroenterology, pulmonology, nephrology, and hematology. Some positives are drug-induced. And some positives are due only to age and family tendency, with no disease present.

I'm just a patient, but based on the above, if your ANA comes back positive, *maybe* a dr. would attribute that to your known psoriasis. Do you have other signs & symptoms beyond skin Like joint pain, fatigue, depressed WBC, anemia, elevated sed rate, hair loss, weight loss, protein in urine, etc.? With those, drs. typically run more specific tests for lupus and its close cousins.

Another thought. Isn't sun supposed to HELP psoriasis? Since sun seems to make your skin worse, has a dermatologist ever done a skin biopsy to see whether it might be something other than psoriasis? There's one lupus rash, called SCLE psoriasiform, that looks a lot like psoriasis to the eye... but isn't.

There's also a condition called psoriatic arthritis. I think it "favors" hands, feet, and ankles.

Sorry this is a late response... maybe you have gotten some word back? I hope you post again & update us. Meanwhile, all best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: ANA blood tes

Nerak 64,
I have had a rash for over a year. The dermatologist biopsied it and it came back as chronic hives. I have several of the symptoms Vee described. I got the lab order today and one of the tests was an ANA profile. So many that post on this board get a negative result on the ANA...so I'm not looking to be positive either. Good luck, I hope you get a diagnosis.
Ginger

Closed Thread