It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

NancyOK HB User
Lupus-Ears

Has anyone had Lupus attack their ears?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Lupus-Ears

Hi, Nancy. I've met people with lupus with inflamed pinnas (the bony cartilege). Also a woman who had terrible seborrhea on her outer ears (brown, crusty, weepy, itchy) & needed heavy IV antibiotics to get it to clear up. Is that the sort of thing you meant, or did you mean impaired hearing? Best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

NancyOK HB User

My right ear burns deep down in the ear and some times I just have sharp pain in the ear. It started in 2008 (both ears) and felt and sounded like a bug was in the ears. Doctor looked at ears and they were fine. In 2010 I could hear hissing in my ears (sounded like a bee) and doctor looked again and said the ears looked fine. For the last 3-4 months my right ear has really been bothering me so went to have test done to see if my TMJ came back and no TMJ. Didn't feel like TMJ so wasn't real surprised. Since I was DX with autoimmune/Lupus a couple months ago decided to look on the internet to see if this could effect my ears. Lupus can attack the ears so was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this to give me extra info.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Nancy, the little I've seen about lupus and ear problems is that ear problems are rare in lupus. Here are the ones I've read about:

TINNITUS (ringing) can be caused by antimalarials or NSAID's & is especially common in people over 60.

AUTOIMMUNE VESTIBULITIS is sudden hearing loss without or without visual changes or dizziness.

CONDRITIS is cartilage inflammation.

Does tinnitus seem to fit best? If it does, I wonder if there are causes other than lupus, because I've known people who have tinnitus but not lupus?

What does your doctor, the one who diagnosed you with lupus, think? And have you seen your ENT (ear/nose/throat) AFTER being diagnosed with lupus?

I'm sorry you're having this, has to be unnnerving! Wish I had more to offer, but I've only had inflammed pinna, no ringing/hissing/buzzing, so I really hope others chip in with more ideas & suggestions. Sending warm wishes, Vee

Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
(female)

NancyOK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Hi, Nancy, the little I've seen about lupus and ear problems is that ear problems are rare in lupus. Here are the ones I've read about:

TINNITUS (ringing) can be caused by antimalarials or NSAID's & is especially common in people over 60.

AUTOIMMUNE VESTIBULITIS is sudden hearing loss without or without visual changes or dizziness.

CONDRITIS is cartilage inflammation.

Does tinnitus seem to fit best? If it does, I wonder if there are causes other than lupus, because I've known people who have tinnitus but not lupus?

What does your doctor, the one who diagnosed you with lupus, think? And have you seen your ENT (ear/nose/throat) AFTER being diagnosed with lupus?

I'm sorry you're having this, has to be unnnerving! Wish I had more to offer, but I've only had inflammed pinna, no ringing/hissing/buzzing, so I really hope others chip in with more ideas & suggestions. Sending warm wishes, Vee

The doctor said he thought it was the autoimmune disease attacking my ear. Saw him 2 days ago.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Nancy, glad you got fresh input, but sorry about the possibility. I just read about a condition called AIED = Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease. Maybe you can get info from a reputable organization? Wishing you some relief soon, Vee

Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
(female)

NancyOK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Nancy, glad you got fresh input, but sorry about the possibility. I just read about a condition called AIED = Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease. Maybe you can get info from a reputable organization? Wishing you some relief soon, Vee
Thanks!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
(female)

Zabolotna HB User

I'm currently waiting to get in to see an EMT but was just at an emergency room for a sinus infection that has been bothering me for months and spread to my ear. I, too, have had the same symptoms: itching deep down in my ear, ringing/hissing/buzzing, hearing loss, feel as if there's a bug, etc. The emergency room doc thinks the lupus, after being dormant for years, may well be attacking my ear. Since I am unemployed, and this is a free hospital/clinic, it's taking forever to get into the EMT and rheumatologist, but I'm also experiencing extreme fatigue and joint pain, my original lupus symptoms.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
(female)

diasor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyOK View Post
My right ear burns deep down in the ear and some times I just have sharp pain in the ear. It started in 2008 (both ears) and felt and sounded like a bug was in the ears. Doctor looked at ears and they were fine. In 2010 I could hear hissing in my ears (sounded like a bee) and doctor looked again and said the ears looked fine. For the last 3-4 months my right ear has really been bothering me so went to have test done to see if my TMJ came back and no TMJ. Didn't feel like TMJ so wasn't real surprised. Since I was DX with autoimmune/Lupus a couple months ago decided to look on the internet to see if this could effect my ears. Lupus can attack the ears so was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this to give me extra info.
I often used a decongestant for similar problems with my ears ( I have lupus)

Reply Reply