It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
hip bursitis and autoimmune disorders

Are those of us with autoimmune disorders more prone to burstis because of the inflammation in our bodies? I'm only 60 ,not overweight ,fairly active,and I have terrible pain in both my hips. It's worse in the morning when i first get up but it seems to gradually work. itself out. But by bedtime I'm in pain again.

None of my friends seem to suffer from this. That's why I was wondering if it's something I'm more apt to have because of my lupus?

I only see my rheumatologist once a year and she is an hour away. I didn't have this problem when i saw her last. I will talk to her about this when i see her in Sept ,but in the meantime I'm wondering what you guys think.

thanks ,Kathryn

Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: hip bursitis and autoimmune disorders

Hi Kathryn, I think you may be right about the bursitis, I have arthritis and suffer from bursitis in my two hips and right shoulder. When I am going through a bad spell the bursitis definitely gets worse. The only relief I get from it is steroid injections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

I have the same question. I can't seem to get the Rheumatologist to answer that question fully when I ask her. I get better with the steriod injections like you Kathyrn. You can only get so many of them a year so between injections times I just have to deal with the pain. I take alot of hot baths, heating pads help. During the winter months, I lived under my warming blanket. I have worked with a physical therapist who has showed me all kinds of exercises but those don't seem to help me. Like you, I also have autoimmune disorders (RA, Lupus, Sjogrens). I do find that when my inflammation levels are elevated (CRP, Sed rate) the bursitis is worse. MD has added SQ Methotrexate injections to my regimen. Not sure how fast they work.
What meds do you take for your Lupus? How long have you been diagnosed?

Hope you feel better soon.

Love and Hugs!
Pixie

Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

Hi Pixie..

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago. I'm 60. I don't have any organ involvement,just joint /muscle pain and fatigue. I've read that when you get it later in life it's usually a milder form. All I take is plaquenil and will take prednisone when I'm in a bad flare up.But I really hate it.
I'm still very active. Work full time with my husband out of our house and watch 2 grandkids after school. This bursitis thing is fairly recent. I haven't done anything about it as yet. I doubt I will because I don't have very good insurance and everything is out of pocket,so I can't afford it.. So unless it gets to a point where I really can't cope I will keep taking IBprophin and just live with the pain. Right now at least it's sort of intermitent and not constant. I also found some stretching exercises that are supposed to help. So I guess I'll try them and see if they work for me.

Hope your new meds do the trick for you...

take care ,Kathryn

Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
(female)

redbird55 HB User

I had my first bout of double hip pain when I was about 9 and am 63 now. I have lupus and have been diagnosed with hip bursitis, plus bursitis in both shoulders. The more I walk, the worse it gets. Sleeping is becoming impossible because both hips hurt badly. I can't even rest my hand on my hips at night without the throbbing pain. I have been on all the lupus meds, nearly fifteen years on NSAIDS ( allergic)prednisone, anti-malarials (allergic), methotrexate, humira, physical therapy, multiple steroid injections, ultrasound treatment, etc. Nothing helps. Lower back hurts also. Pain med barely dulls the pain and wake up in tears. Daughter tells me I cry, whimper and moan in my sleep, so I doubt I am getting any real rest. I also have Chrohn's and arthritis.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

pumpkin1955 HB User

I also believe the answer is YES, about the bursitis in the hips. MY hips have killed me for years and years and yes
I've had Lupus for years. Did you know in the very middle of each hip is a trigger point. I'm sure you must know all about the triggerpoints. In the middle of both of my hips is a tender place that feels like a rison with the pain radiating out from my hipes down my legs..

Last edited by pumpkin1955; 01-21-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Reply Reply