It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

lldcadc HB User
Unhappy ANA Positive

Several years ago, I had been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder. I had also been diagnosed with Asthma and had a history of anemia. At the time I saw a Hematologist, I was experiencing a rash on my face and numbness, pain, and burning in my hand and fingers. I had a positive ANA test with a speckeled pattern. Additionally he found antibodies present in my Thyroid. My doctor who had referred me to the hematologist at that time never addressed it and did not seem concerned so I never had any follow up with the Lupus.
About six years ago, 2006, I was spending a great deal of time working in the yard. I woke up the next day with bruises covering my legs and had a rash on my arms and face. I became very fatigued again, started feeling generally bad, muscle fatigue and pain in joints, and thought it was my thyroid acting up. My doctor at that time ran a few tests, checked my T3, T4, and did not find anything. A year later I found myself even more exhausted and having leg pain, some swelling, difficulty sleeping, and rashes on my face on occasion, and my heart was fluttering at times. I went back to the doctor (a different one) and she found that my hemoglobin was extremely low and placed me on high doses of Iron for over a year. She also increased my Synthroid at that time. I felt a little better, but was still tired, having my legs swell at times, and just generally felt bad.
Two years ago, I started having what felt like my heart was missing a beat and my legs started swelling again, I felt bad again and began to have rapid weight gain though my diet had not changed. I was seen in the ER for chest pain and worked up by a cardiologist. My TSH was elevated, but my other thyroid counts were normal.
Several months ago I began to have pain in my feet, with the worst in my right foot. The pain then went into my knees with my right being the worst. I also feel pain in shoulders and hands at times. At times I could not sleep and had to use a cane to walk. I also was experiencing muscle pain and back pain with a great deal of weakness and fatigue. I just went to the doctor for med refills and to have me knee checked to see what was going on with it and my TSH was very high and my Vitamin D was extremely low.
My doctor just increased my Synthroid told me to take 2000 IU’s of Vitamin D, and referred m to an Internal Medicine Doctor. He ran a anti-tpo and anti-TG whic were elevated, but the Vitamin D and B-12 were all normal and did not do an ANA. I am very confused as to what might be wrong. Any one have similar situation.

Last edited by lldcadc; 03-23-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

TENTANTOES HB User
Re: ANA Positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldcadc View Post
Several years ago, I had been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder. I had also been diagnosed with Asthma and had a history of anemia. At the time I saw a Hematologist, I was experiencing a rash on my face and numbness, pain, and burning in my hand and fingers. I had a positive ANA test with a speckeled pattern. Additionally he found antibodies present in my Thyroid. My doctor who had referred me to the hematologist at that time never addressed it and did not seem concerned so I never had any follow up with the Lupus.
About six years ago, 2006, I was spending a great deal of time working in the yard. I woke up the next day with bruises covering my legs and had a rash on my arms and face. I became very fatigued again, started feeling generally bad, muscle fatigue and pain in joints, and thought it was my thyroid acting up. My doctor at that time ran a few tests, checked my T3, T4, and did not find anything. A year later I found myself even more exhausted and having leg pain, some swelling, difficulty sleeping, and rashes on my face on occasion, and my heart was fluttering at times. I went back to the doctor (a different one) and she found that my hemoglobin was extremely low and placed me on high doses of Iron for over a year. She also increased my Synthroid at that time. I felt a little better, but was still tired, having my legs swell at times, and just generally felt bad.
Two years ago, I started having what felt like my heart was missing a beat and my legs started swelling again, I felt bad again and began to have rapid weight gain though my diet had not changed. I was seen in the ER for chest pain and worked up by a cardiologist. My TSH was elevated, but my other thyroid counts were normal.
Several months ago I began to have pain in my feet, with the worst in my right foot. The pain then went into my knees with my right being the worst. I also feel pain in shoulders and hands at times. At times I could not sleep and had to use a cane to walk. I also was experiencing muscle pain and back pain with a great deal of weakness and fatigue. I just went to the doctor for med refills and to have me knee checked to see what was going on with it and my TSH was very high and my Vitamin D was extremely low.
My doctor just increased my Synthroid told me to take 2000 IU’s of Vitamin D, and referred m to an Internal Medicine Doctor. He ran a anti-tpo and anti-TG whic were elevated, but the Vitamin D and B-12 were all normal and did not do an ANA. I am very confused as to what might be wrong. Any one have similar situation.
I was amazed when I read your post. I have all the same symptoms, right down to the right hand and foot, no vitamin d, anemia, thyroid. As for the bruising, I get bleeding under the skin and I always associated it with my meds. I just started synthroid about 6 weeks ago. I am finally sleeping all night. I have had tremendous weight gain this year.
Somedays, cannot walk. My right hand is now almost useless. Need to have basalar joint surgery..had left hand done three years ago. Cortisone shots help but only for about two months. I've been on Plaquenol for abput 6 months and do not see any improvement. I am swollen all the time.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

lldcadc HB User
Question Re: ANA Positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENTANTOES View Post
I was amazed when I read your post. I have all the same symptoms, right down to the right hand and foot, no vitamin d, anemia, thyroid. As for the bruising, I get bleeding under the skin and I always associated it with my meds. I just started synthroid about 6 weeks ago. I am finally sleeping all night. I have had tremendous weight gain this year.
Somedays, cannot walk. My right hand is now almost useless. Need to have basalar joint surgery..had left hand done three years ago. Cortisone shots help but only for about two months. I've been on Plaquenol for abput 6 months and do not see any improvement. I am swollen all the time.
Have you been diagnosed or had any tests done? What does your doctor say?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
(female)

TENTANTOES HB User

Yes, diagnosis is Lupus. I have tested positive for about three years. I think I'm in a flare right now...major pain in entire right side, legs swell as day goes on. Not sure if a lot of this is related to recent weight gain. I just find it hard to move at my regular pace carrying all this weight.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

lldcadc, what bleeding disorder were you dx'ed with a few years ago? Was it ITP, low platelets due to platelet antibodies? Or maybe purpura? I'm curious because I'd think that either should encourage a doctor to cast a wide net for other things that may co-exist, lupus, for one. (Not that you "must" have anything else, only that it makes sense to check.) So, like you, I'm surprised that your new internal medicine doctor didn't test full-blast, to confirm earlier diagnoses AND check for add'l conditions.

Rashes. Do yours seem photo-induced? Do they last long enough to be examined & biopsied? Where do they erupt? What do they look & feel like?
I ask because it took me a long time to discover there are OTHER lupus-specific rashes beyond the malar & discoid included in the diagnostic criteria.
(I had SCLE annular---targetlike---lesions, on arms & back. My many local drs. hadn't seen it. Also, there's a second SCLE rash that looks like psoriasis, but isn't. Both SCLE's are heavily associated with the anti-Ro autoantibody, and both are typically very photosensitive.)

Vitamin D. Mine fell off the chart, too. D-3 supplements have helped, plus I'm now allowing myself a few minutes of sun, before or after peak hours.

Anemia. Did your earlier doctor give a name to your iron deficiency?

Post more when you can, OK? Wishing you good luck & clearer answers, hang tough, Vee

Reply Reply

Tags
ana, hashimoto's, lupus, rheumatoid, thyroid