It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
(female)

paisleyowl HB User
Is it normal to have DS DNA antibodies?

Hi all,

I've been battling a number of symptoms for more than a year. I've seen a rheumatologist, but she insists that there's nothing she can do for me. My ANA came back at 1:40, and my DS DNA antibodies were 4.0 (Range 0-5.9). I'm just wondering if it's normal to have these antibodies at all, or if I might be on my way to developing Lupus? I have a family history -- my grandmother has Lupus and has had it since she was young. Did any of you have these antibodies present but within the normal levels, and then later end up seeing positive results on your blood tests?

I ask because I've been feeling absolutely miserable. I'm battling with joint pain, fatigue, unexplained weight loss, dry inflamed eyes, headaches, rushing sensation in head, heart palpitations (sometimes resting in the 150s), light sensitivity, mouth sores, frequent UTIs/kidney infections, acne, pitting in my fingernails, swollen glands, insomnia, anxiety, among other symptoms.

I have a tumor on my pituitary gland, but the doctors assure me that it's not causing my symptoms and does not need to be treated. I have very high levels of estrogen and luteinizing hormone, high levels of testosterone and very low levels of progesterone, which may be what is causing my symptoms. I also have PCOS. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced the same and how long it took for your diagnosis? I know the high estrogen leaves me at higher risk for lupus and other autoimmune conditions, particularly given the family history. I just want to feel better, so any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Is it normal to have DS DNA antibodies?

Hi. Were you tested for OTHER relevant autoantibodies?

I turned out to be in the tiny "subset" of ANA-negative lupus, with only positive anti-Ro. I suspect that once my local drs. saw my negative ANA, no additional tests got run... and that despite 8+ yrs. of photosensitive nonscarring rashes, which 7 local dermies failed to test properly.

I had most of the problem you list, plus rashes, migraines, cystitis, GI misery for 20+ years, anemia, depressed WBC, etc. My problems dated to childhood, much as described in the "stcky post" with "alternative criteria". (Have you read the stickies? They're at the top of the thread list.)

I hope others chip in with their thoughts & that you post more soon. Warm wishes, Vee

Reply Reply