It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

tanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB Usertanyasue HB User
Dentist unable to numb?

Hi,

I'm relatively new here. I've had lupus for around 12 years now. One thing I've noticed in the last years is that it's become very difficult for dentists to numb me, and the shots don't last long. I've been looking but unable to find anything online regarding this. Has anyone had this experience? I'm wondering if it's related to lupus or something else?

I would love to hear others experiences. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
(female)

Jezi HB User
Re: Dentist unable to numb?

That's very interesting. I was recently diagnosed with lupus, but believe I've had it for about 13 years.

I've had 4 different dentists not able to numb my left rear quadrin, the last time three rounds of shots were given (15 shots total) and I never did numb, but was quite sore for several days! My dentist then looked something up & did what she called a Gow-Gates injection & it worked like a charm. I wouldn't know how or why this would be related to lupus; she said it was the tissue in my mouth in that area was thicker & thats why it wasn't working. She has done the Gow-Gates injection twice now, & it worked perfect the second time too.

Interesting to note, though - I never had a problem numbing before I think my lupus started!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Thanks for answering! I will ask about that next time. For me it happened in two areas-the back left, and the front for both lateral incisors that needed root canals. It seems that no studies have been done regardlng lupus and teeth.

I know that my lupus is really active right now, so I was wondering if the inflammation was making it worse, and wondered if other have had that issue.

I'm sorry to hear you have lupus. It seems like it takes most people years to be diagnosed once they start having symptoms.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
(female)

Jezi HB User

Definately ask about the injection - my dentist referred to it as an older technique that wasn't used much at all anymore. I went in for a tooth extraction later by an oral surgeon and I couldn't recall the name "Gow-Gates" and tried to explain to the surgeon what I needed, and he didn't know. He kept telling me his injections would eventually work, and they didn't. He ended up gassing me for the extraction, which was nice 'cause I had a nice vacation to la-la land. Ha ha.

No need to be sorry about my diagnosis - after 13 years of wondering what the heck was wrong with me, it is somewhat of a relief to know I'm not insane, or a hypochondriac!

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
(female)

rosi768 HB User

Hello, you may have a lot of acid in your system that is eating up the anestetic to fast. 1 hour before your appt. start chewing up tums. eat like 8 to 10 of them. it slows down the acids and makes the anes. work and last longer. if it still does not last the whole appt. chew up more until you are able to make it through the whole appt. when your done, drink a lot of orange juice and it will help wash all that out of your system. Good luck

Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmarosi View Post
Hello, you may have a lot of acid in your system that is eating up the anestetic to fast. 1 hour before your appt. start chewing up tums. eat like 8 to 10 of them. it slows down the acids and makes the anes. work and last longer. if it still does not last the whole appt. chew up more until you are able to make it through the whole appt. when your done, drink a lot of orange juice and it will help wash all that out of your system. Good luck
I haven't heard this before, can you explain? How does the acid effect that?

Also, it's not that the medicine doesn't last, it's that it doesn't actually get numb.

Reply Reply