It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

GirlsMommy1 HB User
Unhappy Please Read! Please Respond! Worried Sick Momma!

Hello out there,

Hoping my story may sound familiar to someone and/or you may have some advice for me.

I have a four -year old daughter who is generally in great health. She's been having UTIs lately (4 in past 5 months). As we're going down the path to identifying the cause the following has turned up:
* A high blood pressure reading (exact numbers unknown but Ped. was quite concerned that it was so high)
* A high BUN/Creatine Ratio (1:50)
* A positive ANA 1:320 Speckled and Homogenous
* Ultra sound of kidneys came back great - everything looked right.
* We're scheduled for a dye test of her kidneys next week

She has autoimmune issues all over her family tree. Maternal grandmother with severe RA, paternal grandmother lupus, mother with lupus. I'm very worried. Fearing the absolute worse ... could this be lupus nephritis?

Anyone had similar labs? Do you think it could be lupus? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
(female)

AgedFlowerChild HB UserAgedFlowerChild HB User
Re: Please Read! Please Respond! Worried Sick Momma!

HI! I am just a patient and of course can not offer medical advise, but it seems a good idea to call your rheumy. With so much autoimmune in the family, your Rheumy would likely make an appt and run the correct tests - help you get her dx'd.

I would do this now, rather than wait for after the dye test.

I have a granddaughter that kept getting uti and, having been born with a kidney deformity I was sure that she had inherited it. As it turned out, she was fine, was put on a long term med to protect her from further kidney damage and has been fine these past years!

We will hope for the best for your little girl!!

The Following User Says Thank You to AgedFlowerChild For This Useful Post:
GirlsMommy1 (05-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

charleygurl HB User
Red face Re: Please Read! Please Respond! Worried Sick Momma!

Not to worry you more, but I was "diagnosed" with lupus as a child and would be very careful about allowing any doctor to assume lupus is the correct diagnosis. I was treated for lupus for over a decade, two of the treatments almost killed me (prednisone & methotrexate) and still have random symptoms with no explanation. My tider is so high almost every doctor assumes its lupus but I have no malar rash, photo sensitivity (I quite enjoy sunbathing), no kidney issues, rarely do I have joint pain and usually as a result of my extreme activities. So either I am the luckiest lupus sufferer in the world or I don't have lupus. I am inclined to believe the latter. To date I have been off meds for ten years and am still healthy and active.

I would instead look into an endocrinologist, the hormones are much more likely to tell the tale than a battery of blood tests. By no means am I saying ignore the advice of a doctor or a family history of lupus, but know that no doctor will ever take your daughters medical issues seriously ever again once she has SLE on her record. They will tell her to talk to her rheum or to deal with it, just like me.

My current anti inflammatory treatments are tart cherry juice, mangosteen, and tumeric. Raw foods (properly acquired and cleaned) do wonders. I do tai chi, MMA, wrestling, weight lifting, swimming, bicycling, hiking, skating, online gaming, and tons of reading. This is not to be taken as throwing it in the face of lupus sufferers but buyer beware, lupus is the MOST commonly misdiagnosed condition in the WORLD.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

GirlsMommy, while I think other conditions can elevate BUN and creatine, to me it makes sense to proceed with the kidney tests as planned, hopefully with a nephrologist in charge. Like you, I really hope this isn't lupus nephritis, also that her elevated blood pressure is explained. Let us know how you make out, OK? Wishing your daughter & you the very best luck, sincerely, Vee

Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
(female)

GirlsMommy1 HB User

Thanks CharleyGurl and VeeJ.

Somehow there's comfort just in knowing that someone read this and is sending us positive and supportive thoughts is of great comfort to me. We passed our first part of her urinalysis on Wednesday and now will wait for the complete labs test to give us the green light to have the test on Monday.

Thank you so, very, very much for responding.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

GirlsMommy1, I'm glad to read about her urinalysis results!

I have a memory to share that may sound like it's from left field, but I'll throw it out anyway. Did your daughter take antibiotics for her chronic UTI's? If she did, have any of her doctors mentioned the possibility of a drug reaction?

When I was 4, I had a reaction to the antibiotic (not sure what drug) I'd taken for chronic UTI's. It wasn't a skin eruption or anything like that, it was flat-out systemic: pneumonia, then encephalitis with extremely high fever & convulsions. Doctors at 2nd hospital I was taken to diagnosed a drug reaction, and things resolved gradually after I stopped the antibiotic. I don't know if my kidney values & BP elevated, because this happened so long ago, and there's no one left in my family to ask.

I'll never know for sure what happened: was it drug-induced lupus (DILE), a sulfanomide reaction, or what? I was dx'ed with SLE many years later.

The diagnostic steps your daughter is going thru seem to me to be completely "by the book" and necessary, to investigate all possible causes for her kidney values & high BP. And whether an antibiotic reaction is even a REMOTE possibility is only for REAL DOCTORS to say, but I thought I'd write, esp. because I was thinking about you both when I got up today. I sure hope her doctors are zeroing in and get answers soon. Sending hugs & best wishes to you both, Vee

The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
Sunfighter (05-18-2012)
Reply Reply