It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

gabrielitto HB User
Unhappy wrist/hand pain

Hello fellow Lupus patients;

I was diagnosed with Lupus SLE a year ago. I am turning 50 in September. I have been taking plaquenil, Cel cept and Levothyroxine for my underactive thyroid.
I have managed to keep my Lupus pretty much under control, however, I am having great difficulty with pain in my wrists, palms, and pain going down the sides of my wrists. It is very painful to rotate my wrists, grip and pull, turn the car ignition on and off, putting on the seat belt, opening a can, etc. I am very limited as to what I can do with my hands. I go to the gym 5 - 6 times a week, and always do cardio, and weights with every part of my body except arm weights. I am trying to work around the pain in the hands, but it is so difficult to do simple things and I don't like feeling helpless. I sometimes get very depressed about it all. I get very exhausted and have to force myself to do many things. Maybe I shouldn't have lifted weights before with my arms/hands, perhaps I aggravated the Lupus? I don't know what to do.

Does anyone out there who works out with Lupus have any suggestions/advice? I get depressed to the point of crying. I used to always be very strong and athletic until a year ago. I am trying my best to stay active. Any kind of support would be helpful, thank you

Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: wrist/hand pain

Hi. I too have problems with pain & exercise. Gave up my favorite exercises years ago & moved to low-impact (yoga & Pilates), yet still I hurt. Even walking is a chore when soles of my feet ache (often). This spring & summer have been the worst I've had since Dx, maybe partly due to weather (endless barometric changes)? I take Advil daily in addition to Plaquenil, but wish it helped more...

In your case, because of where you describe your pain, is carpal tunnel a possibility, do you think? If YES, there are treatments for it. I wish I had answers! I hope you find your way through this dilemma. Best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
(female)

gabrielitto HB User

Thank you both for your reply.
I wondered myself it is carpel tunnel, but neither my rheumy nor primary doctor mentioned any of that. Perhaps they think it's just the Lupus? I don't know. I am going to call my rheumy today and mention it to him. He was also thinking of putting me on Benlysta since my anti-DNA stites were elevated. If it gets too high I could get kidney disease.
Thank you again for suggestions!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
(female)

shewolf75 HB Usershewolf75 HB User

My right wrist, hand and fingers hurt considerably, although they nevef swell, and my rheum seems to think it's arthritis rather than lupus, although I have lupus as well as arthritis and osteoporosis. I do mild hand and finger exercise that seems to help a lot.

Last edited by shewolf75; 07-30-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: just left out two letters.

The Following User Says Thank You to shewolf75 For This Useful Post:
gabrielitto (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
(female)

gabrielitto HB User

Thank you for your suggestion about the mild hand exercise. My husband suggested the very same thing to me earlier today!I was doing that a little bit, but hesitantly because it was hurting. It makes sense to do though, because when you don't exercise a certain muscle it gets very stiff and painful when you try to use it. I wish you well with your health. God Bless - gabrielitto

Reply Reply