It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Facial Rash... sun induced or sunblock allergy?

Probably the easiest way to check for sunblock allergy is to "patch test" it. Rub it into a small area of rash free skin, and see what happens.

Me, I can't use any sunblock at all anymore, so I have a very nice HAT with a very large brim.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
(female)

dmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB User
Facial Rash... sun induced or sunblock allergy?

When I am out in the sun I get an itchy rash on my forearms the next day I get a slightly raised hive like rash on my face. I always use sunblock but the current rash was after sunblock and minimal sun exposure. My ANA was negative (1/40), as were other lupus indicators. at my last test but my Anti-Ro SSA was positive. I have been diagnosed with discoid/cutaneous lupus on the scalp x7 years. I also have autoimmune thyroid disease. After sun exposure I'm totally wiped out, like I could sleep for a week, not that w/o it I am energetic. I have been blaming thyroid levels on the constant fatigue that I have been experiencing for the past 9 months.

I'm not sure if it's an allergy to the sunblock or a Lupus flare that is just not caught by blood tests taken at the right time. It's very frustrating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
(female)

dmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Probably the easiest way to check for sunblock allergy is to "patch test" it. Rub it into a small area of rash free skin, and see what happens.

Me, I can't use any sunblock at all anymore, so I have a very nice HAT with a very large brim.
Good point. I put the same sunblock on the rest of my body but only got the itchy rash on my forearms and face. Not sure what this says,

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It is most likely from the lupus, since sun exposure also makes you feel wiped out for a week after. The patch test is a good idea. Some sunscreens with PABA are allergenic for some people, but if you got the rash on areas where you didn't apply sunscreen, then it is a photosensitivity reaction. An ANA of 1:40 is positive, but considered borderline pos by many. It can still be meaningful given the symptoms that go with it.

Reply Reply