It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

kirbyluvsonj HB User
lupus and vitamin b12

hi i'm new here. i have all the symptoms of lupus but my blood isn't showing it yet,so i've got no dx.my question is i have a b12 defiency and troubling swallowing is this caused by lupus?

Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: lupus and vitamin b12

Hi & welcome. Sorry you're having symptoms that may prove to be lupus. I hope it's not, but if it is, many people do pretty well these days with proper treatment & ongoing followups, so hang tough!

B-12 (and other deficiencies) are common in lupus, I think, because its inflammatory processes can easily deplete levels. (I had numerous occurrences of low B-12 and Folate before being dx'ed.)

I had swallowing problems, too. I turned out to be in the anti-Ro subgroup. The anti-Ro autoantibody is seen in both lupus and Sjogren's syndrome, and it's possible to have both (I was dx'ed only with lupus). Thyroid deficiency is another possible cause; and it also can co-exist with lupus, so it makes sense to have your thyroid levels checked too.

What kind of dr. are you seeing, a rheumatologist? Just curious b/c they're the ones best versed in lupus & should also know to check for other conditions that can mimic lupus &/or co-exist with lupus. I hope this helps a little, that others add more, and that you keep posting here. Sending my best wishes, sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

kirbyluvsonj HB User

thx for the reply i had a feeling it could all be related just needed someone who knows what there talking about to confirm it thx a bunch

carol

Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Just adding a ditto to what VeeJ said. She is spot on. B12 deficiency can be caused by pernicious anemia, another autoimmune condition. Many of the AI conditions coexist. If you have pernicious anemia, oral replacement won't be absorbed. You would need B12 sublingual or injections to keep your levels up. That can be checked by parietal cell antibody levels on blood. Those are the cells that make intrinsic factor that allows B12 to be absorbed by stomach. They are destroyed by the antibodies. I would also ask for antithyroid antibodies, a check for autoimmune thyroid disease, Hashimotos, related to the swallowing difficulty. Good luck. Ask for a new lupus test, Avise SLE, more sensitive than the usual ANA. It can be ordered by you or your Dr from the manufacturer.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

Hi! I also have B12 deficiency and some troubles with swallowing. My ANA is nucloeolar and I also have some sjogrens symptoms. Are you taking B12 supplements or getting injections? I take the sublingual tablets, and my level has tripled in 6 months but still could improve somewhat. I think that B12 deficiency is common in any of the autoimmune conditions, either due to the general inflammation and perhaps increased usage of B12 or due to poor absorption due to an autoimmune process against parietal cells or intrinsic factor.

Reply Reply