It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
(female)

nawlindame HB User
Lupus Anticoagulation

I have had 3 DVTs. Now, my doctor said that I may possibly have the Lupus Anticoagulant Factor in my blood. My doctor says that she isn't going to do any additional tests at this time because that would mean that I would have to stop taking the coumadin. Since my physician is recommending that I remain on coumadin the rest of my life, to avoid another DVT, she feels that taking me off the medication will do more harm than good.

I am still confused about this Lupus Anticoagulant. But my question is: I have 2 brothers, a son, and a daughter. Should they be tested for this? Should I also worry about my grandchildren? Is this something that will be passed on down through my family"? Also, how did this find it's way into my blood? None of my grandparents, as far as I know, ever had any blood clots. Please help me understand all of this.
She has run the following tests:

Beta-2 Glyco 1 IgG 1 0 - 20 SGU
Beta-2 Glyco 1 IgM 1 0 - 20 SMU
Beta-2 Glyco 1 IgA 4 0 - 20 SAU

PA Isotype IgG <9.4 0.0 - 14.9 GPL
IgG Anticardiolipin Antibody:
. 15 - 20 GPL Equivocal
. 21 - 80 GPL Low to Medium Positive
. >80 GPL High Positive
APA Isotype IgM 10.8 0.0 - 12.4 MPL
IgM Anticardiolipin Antibody
. 12.5 - 20 MPL Equivocal
. 21 - 80 MPL Low to Medium Positive
. >80 MPL High Positive

DRVVT, Lupus Anticoagulant Neg for Lupus Anticoagulant

Hex Phosph Neut Test NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
Hexagonal Phospholipid Neut:
Heparin levels above 1.0 IU/mL may interfere
with the assay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
(female)

andiii HB User
Re: Lupus Anticoagulation

Good Morning,

I was just advised of my first + lupus anticoagulant antibody test this week, so I really can understand all the questions that are popping into your brain!

According to most of the published guidelines I've read, 2 + tests at least 12 weeks apart are required for definitive diagnosis as the LAC antibodies can be transient and present due to issues that do not present a risk of thrombophilia. LAC is considered an autoimmune issue; the body abnormally produces a immune protein that effects blood clotting. The exact mechanism that causes this is not yet known, nor is the trigger for this abnormal immune response.

My dad tested positive for LAC some years ago, and at the time his hematologist recommended all first degree relatives be tested as well. It took me a while, but better late than never, right? Due to the severity of his condition (recurrent arterial clots that ultimately led to below the knee amputation, plus severely diseased heart valves) my doc & I decided the best plan was to start anticoagulation now (Coumadin AND Lovenox....hooray!) I'll be headed to a hematologist in a month, then high risk OB as hubs and I were just about to start working on starting our family. While I am not 100% pleased with having to deal with this, it hasn't escaped my memory that my dad had his first blood clot at my age.....and I'd like to prevent that from happening to me thankyouverymuch

As far as your labs go, your best option is to have a face to face discussion with your doc. She will be better able to interpret your results based on health history than I can. But as far as the puropse of those tests: Basically she was testing you for disorders related to LAC that can also cause abnormal blood clotting. Google antiphospolipid syndrome for more info.

My apologies for the length of this post; hope you got SOMETHING useful out of this!

Reply Reply