It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
(female)

dawnk122 HB User
Any possibility of being lupus?

Hi, I have been having problems with my eyes. I have had at least a few vision blackouts anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes at a time, and now my vision is getting really blurry at night. I've also been getting swollen eyelids which my psychiatrist attributed to a reaction to an increase in my Lamictal dose. I have diabetic retinopathy already so I went to my eye doctor. He sent me to another eye doctor who is now ordering lupus tests and a transesophageal echocardiogram. The echo is to see if there are any holes in my heart. Thing is I had a triple bypass last year, and I really think they would have found anything like that then.

Anyway, I am not sure why my doctor is running lupus tests. I never would have thought this was lupus. I have so many health issues as it is, it just never even occurred to me. I have diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, hypothyroidism, mild kidney disease, bipolar disease, diabetic neuropathy. I have had surgery on my left shoulder for a tear in my rotator cuff so that still hurts all the time, even 2 years later. I get unexplained muscle weakness which my doctor sent me to a neurologist a couple of years ago for and they tested for MS which I don't have, but I do have a lot more plaque on my brain MRI then he would have expected. I have a herniated disk in my neck, and quite a few other things wrong with me. I take 18 different medications.

Does any of this sound like it could be lupus? I keep thinking that the diabetes could cause all of these issues as well since it is also an autoimmune disease. My weight could be a big contributor as well. I am 5'2" and weigh 215 lbs. My BMI is something like 41. Anyway, please help. I would like some answers... any answers.

Thanks,
Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Any possibility of being lupus?

Hi, Dawn. I think when people present with a wide variety of symptoms & problems, that it makes sense to look for a "single bullet theory". (That's the phrase used by one of my drs.) People can have multiple autoimmunes, say thryoid + lupus + diabetes, but that doesn't mean that all do, fortunately.

Have you read the "sticky posts" = permanent info posts at the top of the thread list? These have basic info on lupus & are an excellent place to start.

Meds can cause problems in certain people. There's even a "subset" of lupus called DILE = drug-induced lupus. Unlike SLE, the systemic form, DILE tends to resolve when the offending drug(s) is/are discontinued. You mention 18 meds---gee, that's a lot, with the odds of "simple" drug interaction pretty high, or so I'd bet? (BTW, various psych meds have been implicated in DILE.)

Is your doctor a rheumatologist? That's whom I'd want to do the evaluation for lupus. I'd also want a med review, ASAP. I'm really sorry you're having all these issues & hope you drop updates soon... or just post when the mood strikes, even if you don't have updates! Sending my best wishes, hugs, Vee

Reply Reply